1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trading the EcoPlus back for EnergySaver A/S?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cossie1600, Apr 27, 2012.

1. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked up a set of Continental ProContact with EcoPlus 45 days ago. While they seem to work okay traction wise and fuel mileage, I found the ride on those tires to be absolutely terrible. Any bump I hit now are magnify and I can feel everyone of them. The problem is worse as my wife is pregnant. I spoke to the tire dealer, they are willing to exchange them for a set of Energy Saver A/S for an additional $110. Would you guys do it? I think I put about 3000 miles and 5 autox run on them....

2. Scott1258

Scott1258 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, change them out. It's a good deal.

3. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes I would

4. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did it. Paid an extra $120 over what i paid, but what are you going to do.

Here is the good news

#1 Ride is slightly better
    #2 Definitely quieter

Bad news

#1 Ride is still a little rougher than new, I think the shocks are gone. I never really think much of it since I don't drive the car much, but my sensitive wife can't take it anymore. It looks like there is no aftermarket replacement, so back to Toyota I guess.

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wish I had seen this thread before your traded the tires. The Energy Saver A/S is one of the worst riding tires I have ever used.

6. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I traded a new set of Michelin E/S back in for my original stock Avid's because I could not tolerate the ride on the interstate. Now all is good.

I have owned numerous sets of E/S's on a Jetta TDI and they performed well, a little bit harsher ride, but good on MPG's.

The E/S's produced such a harsh ride on my 2012 Prius that they would develop a high frequency "bounce" when cruising down the interstate, to the point that my teeth would rattle/chatter.

My stock Avid's are new, so I have a ways to go in tire life, but will need to do a bit more research before a replacement purchase.

7. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That was what I got with the Contis. I honestly haven't driven the car much since the swap (30 miles), maybe I will comment more on it later