1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trading up from a C... without a huge loss

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by want_a_c, Feb 6, 2014.

1. want_a_c

want_a_c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I realize that the odds of successfully doing this are quite low.. but..

I was wondering about the possibility of directly or indirectly trading a Prius C for a Gen III.
    Going through the dealer is going to be a significant loss, and probably not worth it.

In theory a 2012 C2 with under 20k miles should have a used value of within $1000 of a regular 2012 prius. Or the same or higher value as a 2011 Prius. Of course there aren't many 2012s or 2011s for sale, even around a very large city..

Any thoughts?

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would a 2012 C be within $1,000 of 2012 Liftback, given the same miles? Were their MSRP's only a $1,000 apart?

3. want_a_c

want_a_c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    kbb and a couple other estimates range about there..
    While both hold their value relatively well, the Liftback loses it a lot faster.

4. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did a quick look at Edmund's TMV and I'm seeing more than $2,000 difference in trade-in value, and difference grows when you look at private party sale and retail values. If you're working with a dealer, you have to compare your trade-in value to their retail value. It's going to cost you more than $1,000 to do a 'trade-up'.

5. want_a_c

want_a_c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So assuming that KBB is way off... Edmunds shows 2000 difference which doesn't change the initial question that much.
    Of course going through a dealer would result in at least a 4000 difference and probably a lot more...

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If you can sell it on the private sector, you might be able to purchase a liftback for "close" to the same price, but it will be a lot of work to get there.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your best move financially would be to sell your Prius c, separately and privately for as much as you can get for it, and then make a separate deal on whatever vehicle you want next. But that can be a PIA.

Convenience and depreciation will kill you here.

Not worth it? Worth it? Depends on you.

Relatively free...to check with your local dealership and discuss your desire. Just be prepared to be pounced on like a wounded Gazelle by a pack of Lions.