1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trailer hitch on a 2012 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by joematlack, Sep 18, 2012.

1. joematlack

joematlack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yesterday I spoke with a guy, after seeing his trailer hitch on his 2012 prius, he uses it only to carry his two bikes. It was a Hidden Hitch, he said he installed it without any problems. I know the car is not rated for any towing but does anyone have any bad experiences with this hitch or others. I will be using it for long distance carring of my two bikes. It weighs 26 pounds so it's not too massive to effect MPG. I see them on line for about $146.

joe

dancehost likes this.
  2. Lance

Lance Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I have a hidden hitch and just returned from a trip carrying one bike from San Antonio - Colorado Springs - Grand Canyon - San Antonio. My MPG were an indicated 48.5. On a previous trip (hidden hitch installed, but no bike rack), my MPG was an indicated 53.2. As we all know indicated and real world mileage is not the same, but it looks like I took about a 5 MPG drop with the bike rack and bike installed.

3. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought a Draw-Tite on Amazon for much less. It's made by the same company as Hidden Hitch and is the same design. Don't buy a Curt, as it isn't as strong and requires a stabilizing strap for your bike rack. Another hitch is Eco Hitch. It mounts more snugly/is less visible, but costs twice as much. Do not carry more than two bikes. The owners manual says not to use a hitch, even to carry bikes.

iPad ? HD

4. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are a few posts about hitches and their uses, just search for them. I'm seriously considering getting a hitch to carry up to 4 bikes but am concerned.

Currently have a Saris Bones for three bikes. Used it on my previous car, an '07 Corolla S. The fit on the Prius isn't awesome and I worry about messing up the paint or the plastic wing thing on the tailgate.

5. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I got the Curt and had no issues. The issues you will run into is more so on the rack more than hitch as that is what secures the bikes.

If concerns are about the mount points. the hitch mounts to where the tie downs go. Clearly this can handles the weight of bikes or the 200lbs tongue weight these class II hitches are rated. Gross of my loads, including hitch hasn't even been half that though.

6. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

The Saris Bones doesn't fit the Prius. The straps bear on the spoiler and you risk breaking it. Also, only 2 bikes are recommended for a hitch rack. A Class 1 hitch has only a 200 lb tongue weight. That's where the trailer ball would be. Because the center of mass is much farther out with a bike rack, that puts much more load on the hitch; hence you should only carry 2 bikes max. There are no Class 2 or 3 hitches available for the Gen III Prius that I'm aware of.

ataylor2 likes this.
  7. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Bones does fit, just not great. Upper straps do not put any major force on the spoiler. They do rub on it but that can be resolved with cloth. Once again it isn't a great fit. Worked great with two bikes even on the highway. Don't think I'd travel on the highway with three bikes though.

see post Bike Rack | PriusChat for some pics

I've yet to see anyone mention rack straps to help decrease the tongue weight load from hitch bike racks. I'm sure this would at the very least help eliminate wobbles and just add some extra peace of mind if not allow you to get 4 bikes on a class one hitch.
    Curt Trailer Hitch Support Strap - Bike Rack Strap with Cambuckle Curt Accessories and Parts 18050

8. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought and installed a CURT hitch as well. And the trailer light kit from Amazon. It was Very easy to install took like 20 minutes all by myself. Only 4 bolts to remove. This is a Very solid hitch. The trailer light kit was easy to install as well very simple. If you have any questions just ask. I think I paid 142. Shipping was free for and the light kit was 49.

dancehost likes this.
  9. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So what are you planning on using the hitch for?

10. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use it for bikes and a small trailer for a kayak

11. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a Curt hitch and a heavy (but solid) Allen 3-bike rack. I've carried 2 bikes from LA to San Diego and back no wobbles no issues. I've even carried 3 bikes before with 3 adults and no issues besides mpg dipping to low 40s.

FriarNurgle likes this.
  12. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Has anyone noticed that just the trailer hitch by itself causes a decrease in gas mileage? I don't seem to be getting as good mileage, maybe on the order of 1or 2 mpg. I could be wrong though.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

13. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I havent noticed any drop at all with in on, when you pull or attach something then yes, but just the hitch nope.

14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I don't see how that could due to location of the hitch. 1 -2mpg is substantial. Possibly less than 1mph if at all but I just don't see it based on location.

The hitch mount bike carrier is the most secure and least impact to mpg out there. The only other way is inside the car IF that's an option.

15. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never really tracked mpg with the bikes back there. But I sometimes ride for weeks with the rack bolted on. I never notice any mpg difference TBH.

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I suspect the reason the owners manual says to not put a hitch on is crash energy absorption. The hitch will mess up the design of the "crush area". The hitch, if poorly designed, -could- cause serious problems in a crash. Such as puncturing the fuel tank as it is driven forward. I'm not sure if the hitch manufacturers have to or do any design analysis.

That and the fact you never know what the "unwashed public" will do with it once a hitch is there. I have visions of a 40 ft travel trailer behind a Prius! :eek:

17. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As far as it piercing the fuel tank in a rear end collision, I just don't see that happening with where it is mounted.

Toyota probably advises against it to prevent stress from too much load. And you cant prevent stupidity. Even if there is no hitch people will always find something outrageous.

18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The mount points the ones used for tow hooks. I believe those are the same bolt points as the rear bumper. Then in a collision, unless your rear ended by a snow plow, I don't see how it will impact or only impact the hitch.

I wouldn't use it to tow a trailer neither! that would be crazy.

19. Jhay-R

Jhay-R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm also looking for a good hitch. Which do you all recommend? Can you guys post pictures. Thanks.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    SARIS BONES has worked great on my Iconic, 2010, and PHV model Prius. Each worked flawlessly on many long vacation trips with 3 bikes on back. There was never any concern about stability or spoiler contact. The ability to easily disassemble for in-car storage/transport could be handy at some point too, especially since my group of biking friends is growing.

That being said, I just bought a 4-bike hitch-rack on Friday, to go with the hitch I ordered on Thursday. Having that larger capacity with the ability to lock was a nice upgrade. Back with my Classic Prius, I had a hitch rack. It was convenient, but the rack itself was quite primitive compared to what's available nowadays if willing to pay... which should be a no-brainer for exercise/recreation equipment... especially with early-season discounts.

This is the rack I got... Thule 9025 Apex 4-Bike

This is the hitch... Amazon.com: CURT Manufacturing 11276 Class 1 Trailer Hitch, Pin and Clip: Automotive

FriarNurgle likes this.