1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trailer wiring harness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Mike rushing, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Mike rushing

Mike rushing New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I have a question I baught a wiring harness for my 05 prius. I hooked it up right and grounded it. it worked for a month and now its blowing the tail light fuse only when turning on the lights. does anybody know what could be causing it. I unhooked the tail light connectors from the harness and fuses are good
    Appreciate any help.

CURT 56147 Vehicle-Side Custom 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness for Select Toyota Prius

2. MoffettMotors

MoffettMotors New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like its shorting somewhere, check the wiring.

3. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First thing to get is a flat four tester (currently under $4 at Amazon with free S&H with prime membership).

See the following:

This way you can test whether the problem is with your harness or with your trailer.

If the problem is limited to your harness (and NOT the trailer wiring) then examine where you are picking your running light signal from. On my 2006 Prius, the wire colors found in the left rear of the car at the white electrical connector plug attached to the clip adjacent to the taillight/turn-signal assembly:

running lights= solid dark green* (found at left/driver side rear white connector -thick wires)

If you are using a running light signal location that is a different location than the solid dark green wire referenced above then try sourcing this signal from the solid dark green wire located on left side rear of the car adjacent to the taillight assembly (but accessed through the plastic cover located in that area.

*- other side of this same connector has the same running light signal carried by a brown wire (at left/driver's side white connector with very thin conductors/wires). Thin wires are so thin that I am reluctant to tap into them.

05152020_running_light_thick.JPG 05152020_running_light_thin.JPG

#3 ydpplqbd, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020