1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trails and Tribulations - Oil consumption and catching oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chinna, Oct 4, 2019.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure you very correct that some enterprises' business model involves scraping the bottom of the barrel and buying the cheapest of everything they sell.

You seem to be saying it would be impossible for a reputable oil manufacturer/supplier like Mobil (or even your beloved Redline) to be able to supply in bulk.

On a small scale, when I buy my oil by the 10L rather than the 4 or 5L containers it can be up to half the price. I think a commercial enterprise that will commit to buying a tanker-truck load pumped into their vats would be able to negotiate a pretty special price.

I'm pretty sure I have a good handle on business practices and economics.

Further, my real point is that unless you have visited every dealer in every country in the world you cannot make the "they all" claims you are making.

I do understand what makes a person jaded and cynical, but arguments that come out of that position and generally very unbalanced.

2. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update at 136k. After last treatment of BG EPR109, there is very little oil in the intake manifold, but it is not totally dry. This is without any oil separator in between. About oil consumption, it seems oil level dropped from 2/3 between dipstick marks when filled to 1/3 mark between dipstick marks. I never measured how much oil it takes to go from Low to High, and if that is really proportional or not. So, I am not certain how much it really consumed. my guess it about half-a-quart in 6k Miles is not too bad.

I ran BG EPR109 this time also, and changed with Mobil 1 HM Full synth 5W-30. I will keep an eye if something changes.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Owners Manual spells it out; IIRC 1.5 liter (1.6 US qt).

4. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks!
    You are right, it is there in the Manual. Based on that my Prius might have consumed about 0.5-0.6 Quart of oil over 6k Miles.
    Will see if this treatment of BG EPR109 makes any difference.

#24 chinna, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.