1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tranaxle Oil Help

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by Pinstripesdumbo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I really like the Bentley repair manual. It is several steps above a Haynes/Chilton. It is the collegiate abridged version of the service manual.

Transmission fluid ATF WS fills your hybrid transaxle. Changing the fluid is identical to changing that of a manual gearbox: Remove the fill plug, position catch pan, remove drain plug, give the fluid 5 minutes to drain out, install drain plug, pump 3.5 quarts of fluid into the fill hole, install fill plug. This is a 1/2 labor job for a dealer. No flushing machine, no code reader.

1 person likes this.
  2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drain and fill, $90. Forget the $250 flush. If they play dumb, go to another dealer, or even an independent (but in that case buy the correct ATF yourself from a Toyota dealer and hand it to the independent).

1 person likes this.
  3. worrywort

worrywort New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please excuse my asking (just petrified that I will mess something up really badly)--I can pour the fluid--I don't really have to pump it do I?.

Have ordered the Bentley online.
    Thanks again.

4. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought 2' of 1/2" clear hose at lowes for 32 cents a ft. and used one of my
    wifes little funnels and filled it. It doesn't quite take 4 qts. No pump. It was
    $7.99 a qt.at the dealer.

Mendel Leisk and worrywort like this.
  5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like to pump it in because it doesn't make a mess. I also have a lift. You have to be a little more careful with the funnel+tube method, but it is easier if you have the car on jackstands.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1489979564287.jpg
    Easiest way is with a prybar to break them free that the hardest part
    Jack up one side 1489979674618.png remove top one and have your low profile oil pan remove botton drain lower car . After it drains jack back up and install botton plug i use 1/2 pex pipe snake down from the top to the hole push pipe in 2" or so heat pex pipe ine so it will stretch push funnel in the add all 4 then remove pipe wouldn't leak yet lower leave pan at the same spot lower car 2 minutes then jack up install plug your done with way faster then a oil change

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

NOLA_Akita likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why not just raise and level the whole car, the once? (n)

Raytheeagle likes this.