1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dailyphotofix, Feb 26, 2009.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hanging the engine from a frame on the car makes it much easier to work on the car when removing a transmission as it allows you to raise and lower the car as well as allowing better access. I left it with my last employer but I made a simple telescopic frame with a scissor jack on top which made it height adjustable. I made it with angle iron legs on 2 lengths of square steel tube where 1 fit neatly inside the other. A third short piece of square steel tube fit over the larger of the 2 previously mentioned tubes with the jack welded to it.
    Pictured is a commercially available version, a little different to what I built.

Attached Files:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't take the comments from the dealership personally...yea, the 38 years thing was pretty lame, but you can't blame these guys for covering their butts before giving you any assistance only to later find you you fried your butt massing with the HV!

There are some shade-tree mechanics who are quite capable of doing this sort of repair. There are also some who just think they are capable, but do not know enough to realize their limits. Over the phone I, too, would have to assume you're the latter until you prove otherwise.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another question: can you please assess the amount of drained transaxle fluid? As you know, the transaxle refill capacity is 4 quarts of ATF WS. If you drained much less than that, maybe the ATF leak is the root cause of your transaxle failure.

I'm very interested in seeing what the inside of the failed transaxle looks like. If you should need help with the inverter coolant refill, I might be able to drive up to visit and help. Let me know via private msg.

4. dailyphotofix

dailyphotofix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I understand why he would be cautious about it, but he was just really rude and inconsiderate. I know everyone is hurting because of the economy right now, so they were probably bitter that I was not having them do the work for me, but I do not have that kind of money and I have always done all the work on my own cars.

I definitely know that this will be a hard job, but that is why I was calling to talk to them, because I want to get as much information as possible and I will not do anything on the car unless I know what I am doing and I have the proper instruction.

5. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It actually drained out the whole 4 quarts, which puzzled me a little bit since I saw that leak on the back. Maybe it was leaking from something else and I was mistaken on what it was coming from. I will have photos up tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice on the coolent. I will let you know if I need any help...and I will have lots of photos of the inside of the transaxle once it comes out!

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trust me, I'm already jonesing to go west again. But I don't
    think it's going to be in the timeframe for this project. And
    having crested 100K there's probably a bunch of stuff I should do
    on *my* car this spring before I think about hitting the road...
    Sounds like you tested the position sensors and found them good.
    Not surprising; they're simple coils and non-contact operation.
    I think people were talking about testing the *motor* windings,
    i.e. hi-potting them to detect ground leaks. But your metal shards
    seem to be indicative of something mechanical, not electrical.
    It's still a quick test to do if you have the appropriate type
    of meter -- basically an ohmmeter that uses 500 volts as its
    test basis instead of the usual low level. That would tell you
    if you had a ground-fault in either motor. Metal shards rattling
    around near the magnet-wire enamel can't be a happy situation
    either way.
    The big question is if there's sufficient room at the left-hand
    frame piece to back the transmission's spline out of the damper
    far enough to clear it from the engine and then lower it. Hopefully
    you've got the equivalent of a transmission jack handy, because
    that sucker is HEAVY with all the iron inside.
    _H*

7. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, that is what I am wondering...if I will have enough room. The factory manual I have seems to suggest that you can do it without removing the engine and I have heard from several people that you can do it either way. We will see!

I do have several different jacks and stands, plus 3 other guys to help me, so I think we will be able to get it out without to much trouble. I believe it weighs around 150 lbs, so with two of us we should be able to drop it down relatively easy.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... what i don't get is... isn't all this covered under california's 10 year 150k mile warranty? the power split device is part of "hybrid components" since it doesn't have a real transmission...

i've found other failure stories while googling.. some costing 10k or more and were covered by the warranty...

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, the transaxle is covered by the powertrain warranty which is 5 years or 60K miles whichever comes first.

See: http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/warranty.html

10. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup...thats what I found out after the dealership got my hopes up. They told me it was covered under the warranty and then two days later called me up...SUPRISE!!!! We want $5k to fix your car! Haha.

11. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are some photos from the weekend:

My Current Projects:
    [​IMG]

One of the smaller pieces of metal that came out with the ATF.
    [​IMG]

The Fluids.
    [​IMG]

A good amount of build up on the magnetic drain plug.
    [​IMG]

A good look at what I have ahead of myself.
    [​IMG]

Top view...
    [​IMG]

Leak on back of transaxle. Or this this not part of the transaxle? It is right above the axle....
    [​IMG]

raffpoz likes this.
  12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for posting the photos. I really can't see where the leak is.

Is there any possibility that the inner CV joint boot is leaking grease, and when the axleshaft is spinning, grease is being deposited all around that area?

The transaxle fluid looks quite nasty while the coolant looks like punch that you wouldn't mind drinking...

13. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I first thought it was the CV joint when I saw the fluid, but then when I looked closer it appeared to be coming from a seal right above the CV joint.

Yes the transaxle fluid was nasty, I filtered a little bit of it and it was completely full of junk, while the coolant looked perfectly clean.

And yes, it does look like punch. haha.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The leak area is the area where the transaxle oil pump is located.

This is some skunky looking oil. Any unusual odor?

Since you will be in the area, you may want to consider putting in a new torque limiter bolted on the flywheel. A clutch plate by any other name, it merits looking at.

Bob Wilson

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Your photo of WS fluid at 127k miles should be must-viewing for anyone who regards it as a lifetime fluid in the Prius transaxle.

C'mon boys and girls, grab a wrench and a gallon (OK 4.5L) of WS! Don't make your gears swim in that!

1 person likes this.
  16. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No unusual odor that I noticed...then again I am use to Jet Fuel and aviation grade oil that stinks like no other.

I was planning on taking a look at the torque limiter when I pull the transaxle off. I just did not want to order a new one if I do not need it. Anyone know what I should look for to know if it needs to be replaced, besides the obvious?

17. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True Story. I just bought the car (at 100k miles) and am now wishing that I would have changed the transaxle oil as soon as I got it...although I do not know if it would have made a difference with that many miles already on it.

That is one thing I would recommend to buyers of used prius' now that I have gone through it: If you are buying a high mile prius make sure they have records of the maintenance done on it!!!!

18. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I could not contain myself if that person told me that I am not allowed to work on the car. I would have had some fun with him though and ask for that written someplace. And, will he send out the police, or what?

I would certainly have asked that it is interesting that hybrids were around in 1970, must have missed that time period, and would have asked for the make and model:D

But, now, when you go back, if you have the guys name;), ask for him, and have some fun. Tell him you were looking for that mandated 'no work on own car' but could not find it:D And, by the way, this is the car that was fixed by that incompetent fool and that would mean that your mecs are about the same?:D

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't heard that the transmission input damper assembly is troublesome - it seems to just be a spring-loaded mechanism. If you don't observe physical damage then it should be good to go.

Some dealers will say that ATF WS is a "lifetime" fluid good for 100K miles. I change that fluid at 30K mile intervals. The transaxle is a very expensive (and besides the engine, the most difficult) part to replace, so why skimp on preventive maintenance there.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm looking at my NHW11 manual, pp. EM-56, and they report:
    Standard thickness: 6.2-6.6 mm (0.244 -0.260 in.)
    Minimum thickness: 49 mm (0.193 in.)
    . . .
    bolt torque: 16 Nm (163 kgf-cm, 12 ft lbs)
    My engine is rpm limited to 4,500 rpm but yours can spin to 5,000 rpm so there may have been some changes in this area. I would recommend getting the bolt torque and damper disk thickness from the Toyota technical service.

I only remember one report of a damper disk problem in over three years of monitoring the usual web sites. But since you'll be in that area, it makes sense to take a peek.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson