1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dailyphotofix, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NHW20 '06 service manual does not state a thickness, or indeed any specifications, for the input damper. The bolt torque is 20 Nm / 204 kgf-cm / 15 ft lb.

The diagnostic seems to be, if you're getting DTC P0A90 (Drive Motor "A" Performance) or P0A0F (Engine Failed To Start) INF code 238, and the engine over-revs in testing or the P0A90 INF code is 241, replace the transmission input damper.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What bugs me is engine oil leaks, so while the transaxle is removed I'd consider replacing the rear crankshaft oil seal. OTOH, I haven't seen complaints about engine oil leaks from owners of older Prius with high miles - is this because there aren't any leaks or because the owners are oblivious to said leaks?

3. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have an oil pan gasket leak that I will be fixing soon. It is impossible to be oblivious to it, creates a good size puddle. I'm keeping a close eye on my engine oil level.

4. dailyphotofix

dailyphotofix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know, it took a lot of self-control not to laugh at the guy...I am excited about going in and showing the car off when I am done.

5. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I figure that once I have it apart I will be able to tell more clearly if I need to replace it or not....

6. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did not get the INF codes on those to DTCs, the dealer would only give me the INF code for P0A09....

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    For reference, here's what my fluid looked like at ~63k miles (original post here: http://priuschat.com/forums/care-ma...ng/18125-changing-psd-fluid-3.html#post275240 no longer has attachments)

Mag Plug:
    [​IMG]

What dribbled out:
    [​IMG]

A catch bottle (which I never did get analyzed - sorry guys) against a white piece of paper - pretty dark even @ 60k:

[​IMG]

And a comparison of the fluids (old top, new bottom) dribbled on a white sheet of paper.

[​IMG]

I plan to change mine again at 120,000 miles.

Attached Files:

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your oil pan gasket leak, but this is a good opportunity for you to add to the collective knowledge base. Note that there are two oil pans.

The sheet steel pan painted black is named # 2 oil pan. This pan is bolted to another oil pan which is an aluminum casting. Is your leak from the seal between #2 oil pan and the aluminum oil pan above; or is the leak from the seal between the aluminum oil pan and the engine block?

When you remove the oil pan could you pls take a few sharp photos of the bottom of the engine and post? I'd like to see what components are visible from that perspective, and their condition.

Looks like there are 9 bolts and 2 nuts holding the #2 oil pan on, and the tightening torque is 80 in.-lb. You'll need the Toyota Genuine Seal Packing Black, Three Bond 1207B or equivalent. The diameter of the sealant bead is 2.5 - 3.5 mm, and the seal needs to dry at least two hours before you refill the engine with oil.

Thanks!

9. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Patrick,

I will have to look closer now because I didn't know there were two oil pans. I am assuming for now that #2 is the problem. The local auto parts store sells a gasket which I was going to use to create the new seal. Do you recommend the Toyota sealant over a premade gasket? I will get pictures for you.

Regards,
    Dave

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dave,

Well, a pre-cut gasket is not pictured in the repair manual, and I can't say whether it will work better than FIPG or not. Its interesting to hear that such a gasket is available on the aftermarket.

Are you planning to use sealant along with the pre-cut gasket?

Attached Files:

11. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Federal-Mogul's Complete Automotive Light Duty Catalog - Part Details

Fel-Pro makes a gasket set that includes sealant with the gasket.

12. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update:

I stopped by the Toyota dealer in Claremont today, picked up the fluids and gaskets I needed. Cost me a little over sixty bucks. Back to Big Bear for the weekend....the transaxle showed up via freight today. It looks good, hopefully it works!
    [​IMG]

I started pulling the prius apart tonight. Took the hood, wipers, and wiper motor off.
    [​IMG]

It got dark and cold quick....26 degrees Fahrenheit. Out come the lights!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The inverter is coming out. Simple stuff so far.
    [​IMG]

Inverter is out! It was only three bolts plus the hoses and wiring harnesses. Took me about a half hour!
    [​IMG]

A big hole left by the inverter. Now you can see the transaxle.
    [​IMG]

Airbox is out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time to quit. 26 is kinda cold with no sun...and I cannot really feel my fingers, or feet anymore.

I will start first thing tomorrow morning.

If what I have done so far is any sign of what is ahead then this job is a piece of cake. Pretty simple stuff so far.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a lot of pipes under the inverter. It is good that you are taking the photos. If you forget what to connect where you can just review the pics.

14. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, lots of coolent hoses, but they are all pre-formed to the spots where they connect, so its really hard to make a mistake or forget where it connects. Same will the electrical connections, they are all different types of connectors, so you do not get mixed up very easily.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is it my imagination or does the dust on the top of transaxle seem a little rural? Do you know if this car saw a lot of use in an agricultural or dusty area?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The top of the transaxle is a complex shape, and *does* tend to
    collect a certain amount of crap. Rodents that bring in additional
    gifts don't help, either...
    The hoses under there probably look more complex than the system
    really is, but you're also looking at the heater and coolant-storage
    stuff for the engine side that just happens to run through there.
    I guess we'll see if it all has to come out or not??
    Question: where do you figure on disposing of the old fluids in
    an environmentally-sound fashion? I'm just wondering how most
    fixit-folks handle that in their own regions.
    _H*

17. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, it was pretty dirty in there. There was a bit of sand and dirt filling the edges of the inverter top as well, so I had to be very careful to remove it all before taking the top off.

I have no idea if it was in a dusty area before me. I am guessing so, because I do not think this amount of dirt would come from a concrete jungle.

18. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have a recycling center here in Big Bear every Saturday where you can take oils, coolants, or any other hazardous materials for free. That is where I always take the fluids.

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice progress so far, especially considering the adverse weather conditions and your having to do this project outside. I note your use of tape to seal off various disassembled components, an excellent move since you are working outdoors. The really interesting part will be removing the transaxle from the engine.

In Orange County, CA for example, each landfill has a household hazardous materials center where you can drop off unused cleaning fluids, old paint, used auto fluids, batteries, etc. The discount auto parts stores accept used engine oil as well.

Does Boston have similar facilities?

20. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Working on cold engines in the Winter is no fun, I give you a lot of credit, nice photos. " A piece of cake", that's good! Be careful.:cheer2: