1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dailyphotofix, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think cleaning the MAF is more important than cleaning the TB. I've already covered MAF sensor cleaning

2. dailyphotofix

dailyphotofix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will be sure to take some photos and post them along with the steps I follow when I complete the cleaning.

I am sure cleaning the MAF is just as important, but I believe both should be cleaned if dirty at all, since they are both very important parts of the car's respiration system.

-Peter

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Up to a point, soot on the throttle butterfly is just un-aesthetic. When it begins to interfere with motor control of the butterfly angle, then we need to get in there.

More praise for dpf for this thread and his brave mechanical worl!

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Peter

Yes, of course. The Toyota MAF is very easy to remove and clean. For most on this forum, tackling the TB is a lot harder. I would expect a lot of folks to spray in way too much TB cleaner, and wind up with a no-start condition

jay

5. priusorcorolla

priusorcorolla New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    dailyphotofix, where did you buy the transaxle oil pump? I have a VW and I'm looking to get myself a pump because I need to change my transmission oil as well. I can't help but to notice the pump fits the bottle of oil, did it come with the oils? Thanks.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've seen those pumps at marine supply places. They're used to pump gear lube into the lower unit of an outboard or stern drive

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Marine supply places are good for oil transfer pumps, as jayman says. Watch out for the cheapest West Marine model. The price is right, but it will only work for one season.

Tom

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMO its easier to use a funnel with a three ft long flexible tail, instead of having to pump the ATF into the fill hole.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1 A funnel with a vinyl tube works well.

10. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Dad had the pump in his garage, so I did not have to buy it. As everyone else says, any marine place will have one. Here is the first place that popped up on google when I searched it: Gear lube hand oil pump (for Qt. bottle)

Yes, that would work as well...I think I would prefer the pump though, I was able to stop pumping very quickly once the oil was full and spilling out, where as I would imagine it would be a little messier with the funnel.

I was not able to work on the old transaxle last weekend...I was way to busy, plus it snowed three inches so I decided to stay in doors for the weekend. Maybe this weekend I will work on it a little...but then I also have a million other projects on my plate, haha.

11. priusorcorolla

priusorcorolla New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It so happen that your pump fit your oil bottle? what if I were to buy my pump and it doesn't fit the bottle? If it came with a bottle, the problem solved. wait, did you have to twist the pump tight against the atf bottle or did you just let it hang? is an air tight seal required?

Thanks,

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That way the folks at the marine store get to see you every season

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They're designed to fit onto quart bottles and I haven't had any problems yet. They don't need an air tight seal.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you visit your local discount auto parts store, you should be able to buy either of two lubricant pumps. One will fit the narrow neck bottle that is typically used for quart bottles. The other will fit the larger neck bottle typically used for gallon bottles.

The Toyota ATF WS bottle is tricky because it is quart-sized but it has a large neck, therefore you will need the pump usually used for gallon bottles. Bring a bottle with you when shopping for a pump, if you have any doubt. You need to tighten the pump cap to make a tight seal with the bottle and to avoid spilling ATF everywhere.

I used a pump when changing transaxle and MGR fluid on my HiHy, because it was not feasible to use a funnel for that vehicle.

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When replacing my WS fluid, I bought the gallon as it was cheaper than the quarts combined (or it was all the dealer had). Either way, the larger of the cheap pumps I found @ my local Checker (or AutoZone) worked just fine. W/ the funnel and pouring from above, I'd have a harder time stopping the flow when the tranny was full.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You haven't fully lived until you've had ATF run down your arm, into your armpit. It's a feeling I can't even remotely describe

1 person likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Better still, put it on Ebay:
    "Busted NHW20 Transaxle" - "The notorious broken transaxle recently removed from a Prius as described in PriusChat. Buyer pays for shipping, 300 lbs pickup near Bear Lake CA. Very, very broke and unusable but a great conversation piece or decrative table top piece for a gear-head. Alternatively, it could be mounted by a hybrid skeptic for their trophy case or disassembled to reclaim the significant scrap metal: copper, aluminum, steel and rare earth magnets."
    Bob Wilson

18. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As said below, the ATF bottles from Toyota come with a wide neck, so my pump actually fit perfectly, not on purpose. The seal does not need to be air tight, as long as you hold the end of the pump under the top of the oil it will just keep pumping.

19. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hahaha! true story...

20. dailyphotofix

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    priceless. i should put it up just to see if anyone bids on it...if I decide not to rebuild it.