1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle fluid change -- Current $$$ from dealerships

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed another thread went slightly off-topic on the issue of paying to have the transaxle fluid changed at the Toyota shops.

Seems that at least from a few posters that somewhere south of $100 is now the norm for the fluid and labor at dealership shops.

I just paid $90 in Seattle -- $60 for Toyota fluid, $40 for labor = $100 - 10 percent off dealership coupon = $90.

I think at least three others said they had paid $80 in total. One of those in the San Diego area. Seems as if the price has fallen, at least from the comments in the other thread. If you have been thinking about paying to have it done, now might be the time to bite....

And, if you are a better mechanic than I (and I know it's a fairly straight-forward task), you can save nearly half and do it yourself.

#1 Stevewoods, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. RavenTBK

RavenTBK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a Gen3, but the process is identical, so it shouldn't matter. At a recent service, I was quoted $139 for a simple drain and fill. Quote was $159 for the same at a competing dealership in another town. A bit excessive imo.

HTC6525LVW ?

bisco likes this.
  3. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    $40 for fluid. I didn't pay them to drain and fill for me, but I did take it to my 3rd party Prius mechanic for an unrelated service the next day, and since I had the fluid sitting right there, I asked him to do the drain and fill for $45 (1/2 hour). $85 total.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a wild Friday night in Iowa, as evidenced by the fact that I am posting to PriusChat. Transaxle fluid change locally was $80. I could whine about it, but it actually seems reasonable enough for a Toyota dealer.

priusrust likes this.
  5. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    equally wild night in Massachusetts , as evidenced by my responding to this post....

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Though I've said it before...

Prices quoted by the Service "Advisor" are not set in stone and be further advised this same person makes a commission for up-selling. Build a good relationship with one...and the Parts guy...and you will save a lot of money. All you have to do is be nice and ask for best price. Yes Sir, thank you, please. ;)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think a lot of times the service advisors have no clue what's involved with a Prius transaxle fluid change, and are basing their quotes on other Toyota vehicles, maybe with trickier transmission fluid changes?

When they quote in $200~300 range, you really don't want to take it there, for a couple of reasons:

1. The obvious: it's robbery (whether they know it or not).
    2. If they're actually that in-the-dark about what's entailed, do you want to entrust it to them?

8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The service advisor isn't the person with the wrench in their hand, so the answer is likely yes. Any competent mechanic can do this, including dealer mechanics. The advisor just bargains the price.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't count on a miraculous transition between the front desk and mechanics. If the service department is experienced in doing Prius fluid changes, and are doing them regularly, the service writers should also be aware it's under an hour and very straightforward. Should always be under $100.

Most here give up arguing with service department and DIY, it's dead simple and about $40.

Skibob likes this.
  10. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Service advisors have probably also figured out that most customers think a transmission fluid change is a big deal and jack up the price accordingly. Any difference between the cost of the service and the selling price is pure profit for both the dealership and the service advisor. The service advisors will charge whatever they think the market will bear.

As a test, when I run my Prime to the local dealer in a week or so for the 10K maintenance, I'll ask for a quote on this service and see what they give me.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a good idea, do report back. My 2 cents: a transaxle fluid change at 10K is good timing; not good to leave the break-in detris in there for another 50K. Bargain hard, $80 US is plenty. (y)

12. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Unless they meet that price, I'll just do the job on jackstands in my garage. $40 for their labor would be a good deal actually. We'll see where they land on the price.

13. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Stopped by the local dealer to schedule the 10K mile service. Asked for a quote to change the transmission fluid. The service advisor immediately replied $289 plus tax. I remarked that seemed high for what is essentially a manual transmission fluid change. He quickly came back with $189 plus tax, then looked in his computer and told me it would be $119.99 plus tax. At that dealer, World Standard fluid is $11.07/quart.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That 80 dollars was 4 years ago. :whistle:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    September 2016 was the last time I bought up here. Through a local dealership, Canadian dollars:

Toyota ATF WS, per liter: $9.14
    Drain/fill bolt washers, apiece: $3.80 (robbery...)