1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle Fluid Change DIY?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eric1234, Jul 12, 2016.

1. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Has anyone done their own Transaxle Fluid Change? Do you have pics of the drain & fill plug locations & ATF fill quantity?

OR - is there anyone with TIS access that has downloaded the Transaxle Drain/Fill procedure that would be so inclined to post it up here?

My prius just turned 10k miles, and I'm planning to change out the transaxle fluid sometime in the next 5k - but I'd like to be a bit more confident about the process before I proceed...

Thanks,
    Eric

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are numerous threads on that topic.
    It's easy, once you get the car lifted and the underpanel out of the way.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When is it due to be done - I thought I saw it wasn't due within MY lifetime?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My pdf of the 2016 Owners Manual shows the fluid is still TOYOTA ATF WS, slightly greater fluid capacity than 3rd gen:

upload_2016-7-12_16-1-51.png

I'll attach the gen 3 instruction, fwiw. It's quite straightforward: raise and level car, drain fluid, add new fluid, till it starts coming back out.

The 2016 oil change instruction has been posted. Maybe someone can post similar for the transaxle? This sort of instruction used to be included in a lot Owners Manual, manufacturers seem to be cutting back on DIY instruction though. :(

Otium and thatoneraccoon like this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Please do not ask others to steal for you. Toyota, who owns the copyright, chooses to charge for that. I do not want PriusChat to be frozen out of Toyota events.

Prodigyplace, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you please point me to one for the 2016? I haven't seen one.

To assume that the 2016 is the same as the 2010 might be akin to assuming that the 2010 is the same as the 2008.

Are you an IP attorney?

If not, please don't spread your ignorance nor scold someone about something that you may not fully understand.

Have you considered whether a simple posting of a single procedure may be fair use? Or whether 6 pages out of 30,000 would be considered a de minimis copy? Have you noticed that the official oil change procedure has been posted as a sticky in the very same forum?

Apparently not. Please mind your own business. If you don't have something productive or constructive to add - you're just spreading ignorance.

Thanks, Mendel. The red highlight is exactly what I was hoping for...

The official word from Toyota is that the transaxle is a fill for life unit.

There is some empirical evidence (thanks to Bob Wilson) that suggests an early (~2k - ~10k) change, followed by every 60k thereafter is beneficial. You can find much discussion about this in the GEN III forum.

What is "really" necessary? Who knows? This, is, afterall, an oil change thread - and if you ask 10,000 people, you'll get 9,500 different opinions and recommendations. I don't know what is best - but I know that some regular changes will cause no harm other than the resources required to purchase and recycle the fluid.

There's also a whole bunch of discussion debating whether it's beneficial or necessary to use Toyota ATF-WS or third party products. No need to restart/rehash those, either. I'm just looking for some pictures and technical guidance vis-a-vis the right fasteners, torques, etc...

#6 eric1234, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
    RCO and ETP like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be a reasonable idea to do it if the car is being kept for a longer time than the 4 or 5 years that I generally keep mine.

ETP and RoadNoise like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's around $40 (can) for sufficient fluid and 2 washers, and a fairly easy DIY. Those factors were compelling for me, outweighing any other pros and cons.

I think it's sad that Toyota's so dismissive about the possible value, and that they chose to hold back the instruction for this and various other routine maintenance items, behind a paywall.

RAM v and ETP like this.
  9. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

In 2006, when I asked for the transaxle oil to be changed the Toyota service manager told me there was no oil in there. Needless to say I was pissed they knew so little about the car. Maybe if Toyota says it's good for life, they didn't tell the service people much about it. That Prius has gone 200 K and the oil never was changed. But that said no oil lasts forever, and I would feel better if was easy and documented how to change.

RCO, ETP and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When changing fluid the car has to be lifted up and leveled so the fluid level when refilled. If you just jack up the front and fill up the level will be off.

RCO and ETP like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup. The fill bolt is towards the rear, so if the car has the front raised, the level's going to be on the low side.

ETP likes this.
  12. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Amazes me how ignorant service departments are. I would like to have mine changed but sometimes you wonder if it is worth the risk. They may open the wrong plug hole and fill the wrong hole.:ROFLMAO::mad:

And I have never done anything that stupid in my whole life. Not!

Changed the gear box fluid in a VW Rabbit Diesel truck and filled the clutch access visual inspection hole with 90 weight. Fortunately I caught it before driving and drained it the best I could.
    Another thing I did I am too ashamed to even talk about. Team work, diagrams, and checklists are the way to go. I hear the oil change rack at some places yelling out checklist items/even at Walmart.

#12 ETP, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know someone who checked the radiator - but - instead opened the valve-cover oil fill cap - saw it was empty, so she filled it up. With water. Drove for for ½ hr or so - husband changed the oil - twice, and it was still going strong 2 yrs later. A '60s TOYOTA.

Rebound and ETP like this.
  14. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Who ever said oil and water never mix:ROFLMAO::LOL:

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I started pouring motor oil into an automatic transmission once. Put in about 4 oz before I woke up. Drained it, filled with the right stuff, drove to dealership and got enough fluid for two more changes, and did the two more changes, with a drive 'round the block after each. It survived.

thatoneraccoon and RCO like this.
  16. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wonder if you could pour a bunch of cheap tranny fluid in the gear box and flush it out before putting the liquid gold in it.

17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why bother? Then you'd have to flush out the "cheap tranny fluid," which would be far more trouble and expense than simply replacing (most of) the WS directly.

18. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, I've hit 15,000 miles - Noone has yet done this?

My main concern is to ensure that there aren't any surprises. I believe that there's also coolant running through the transaxle case, and I'd hate to pull the wrong plug.

I even went so far as to try to look up the parts list for the 2016, looking for an identified transaxle fluid drain and fill plug, but no luck.

If anyone has done this yet - please let me know.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I would go for it. When googling "Toyota techinfo 2016 prius transaxle fluid change", this is one of the first results:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/rm/RM1290U/xhtml/RM00000419L000X.html?sisuffix=ff&locale=en&siid=1473261787780

This looks very similar to the document I have for third gen (attached), I believe it is an amended third gen document, not sure. It's last edit was 8-31-2016. The torque values for fill/drain bolts are notably higher, at 37 ft/lb, than the 29 ft/lb in my document. The volume at drain in fill amount is also slightly higher, at 3.4 liters, vs the 3.3 liters in my document.

The 2016 Owner's Manual still spec's Toyota ATF WS as the fluid to use. I would have a look at yours. The fill and drain bolts are viewed when you're around the middle, looking towards the driver's side. The bigger circle, adjacent to the upper (fill) bolt is the drive shaft, in section. I'll wager it still looks very similar to this:

upload_2016-9-7_8-36-30.png

Give it a go, report back?

thatoneraccoon and RCO like this.
  20. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Mendel,

I think your assessment that it is an amended 2010 document is correct. Those pics look identical, with a few minor changes in numerical data.

I will be giving it a go and will report back. I'll probably spend the time and money on a 2 day TIS subscription to get the official instructions. As I said, more than anything, I don't want to guess at the actual plug(s) to remove, and then accidentally drain (or add to) something unintended... ;-)

thatoneraccoon and Mendel Leisk like this.