1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Austin Middleton, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just a comment on the video: A funnel and 3' hose is a simple alternative to the pump they use, for putting in the replacement fluid. Just snake it down from the top. A pump, in particular a pro mechanic's pump, has likely been used for multiple fluids, so there'd be some adulteration of the fluid when it's used. Having a cheap funnel and hose dedicated to your transaxle fluid changes avoids this.

I've change our's (3rd gen) a couple of times now, figure to do it every second year. Likely overkill, our mileage isn't that much.

2. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No problem. One thing not in the video and I forgot to put in my pdf. I'll revise it. Don't forget to clean the metal deposits off the drain plug with a clean cloth. They all have some to one degree or another. As log as it's very fine particles, not much worry. If there are pieces of metal you can see it's a problem.

3. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    would this torque wrench be okay to tighten the sump nut?

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes. The torque for the transmission sump is 29 ft lbs and that torque wrench minimum setting is 20 ft lbs and maximum of 150 ft lbs.
    A smaller unit would be useful if any work on the transmission or engine was envisaged. A lot of the bolts into the aluminium are only tightened to a few inch lbs.

John (Britprius)

5. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    smaller unit such as 3/8 with a smaller starting point , such as this one?

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Even that one is still a little heavy. Many of the smaller bolts on the Prius have torques of around 4 or 5 Nm or 45 inch pounds so about half of the minimum range of that unit. It would be difficult to find one torque wrench that will cover everything needed.
    The first unit would cove things such as suspension parts and larger engine and transmission bolts, but when dealing with things like cam cover, sump, or transmission cover bolts a small wrench starting at or near zero is required. Ideally the two will have cross over range where both could be used.

John (Britprius)

Agape likes this.
  7. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    to start with, would this be okay:

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I seem to be being very negative to your questions today. That is a good range for the smaller bolts, but will not tighten the transmission drain plug in your first post. That requires 29 ft lbs and this wrench only goes up to 17.7 ft lbs.
    I appreciate finding a tool with the required range can be challenging, but if you are not careful you can end up buying equipment that does not cover your requirements, or buying three wrenches where two will do.

John (Britprius)

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a 1/2" drive torque wrench for donkey's years. Range displayed started at 10 foot pounds. Recently picked up a 3/8" drive, range starts around 5 foot pounds. I strongly suspect the lighter wrench is going to be more accurate in the lower range.

That said, I put both on a lug nut on the car, set around 30 pounds, and tugged them one foot away from center with a digital scale: both came out very close to the setting.

10. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh, today front pads gave up 210,005km's

I also need tools to start other work.

can you please advise if any of these tools are worth the hassle:

1 tool

Sealey STW102 4-210Nm 1/2-inch Square Drive Micrometer Style Torque Wrench

one tool GBP44.90

or 2 tool's

Sealey 3/8-inch sq 2-24nm/1.47-17.70lb.ft Torque Wrench Micrometer Style Drive
    GBP27.21

and Sealey Style 3/8-inch Drive 7-112nm/ 5-83lb.ft Torque Wrench Micrometer
    GBP30.49

two tools GBP57.70

or would you have another recommendation? I do not want to pay too much..

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For the work you are about to do I would take choice (1). It may be in the future you may need something with lower settings, but 4 Nm is fairly low and the top range should be high enough for anything on the Prius.

John (Britprius)

Agape likes this.
  12. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you

13. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update: please do not buy the following tool:

Sealey STW102 4-210Nm 1/2-inch Square Drive Micrometer Style Torque Wrench

This tool has a range 42-210Nm and it is a case of error in the advertising.
    I am now left with choice, return it to sender or keep it ...

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That range is pretty typical for a 1/2" torque wrench. I suggest you keep that and also invest in a 3/8" torque wrench to cover the range below 42 Nm.

15. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know about the part number, but the bottle is marked "Toyota ATF-WS". You will need 4 US quarts (or whatever the equivalent amount of liters is.)

17. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi Patrick, I actually wanted to ask you about this (you are really kind for advising)

person from the small local garage/shop who works with motor sport and drift cars told me that Toyota advises incorrectly and that red fluid makes harder for the CVT transmission to work... and he said that I should look for CVT ATF Toyota fluid which is yellow in color.

I actually purchase ATF (I need to check if WS) fluid in four cans from toyota's person. I am really wondering what this can is about... Toyota Vitz Owners/Fan Club - 20626 - Page 413

the can says it is ATF CVT fluid (it says that it is from 2005 up) - it makes some sense...

I wonder if you ever heard about this yellow fluid in such can as we already have heard about ATF WS which is red in color.

Wonder if experiment to try this Yellow Fluid is a scary attempt..

Let me first read the label what I bough.

I will post later result of my chat with the mechanic who told me about yellow stuff- maybe we will know more.

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, you should use only Toyota ATF-WS which has a red color. This has the part number 08886-02305 in the cited photos. I believe that is sold in a 4L container in Europe. In the US, ATF-WS is sold in individual black plastic bottles, 1 US quart capacity.

Do not use anything else, certainly not the yellow fluid.

19. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased 4 x 1 US quart bottles.

I don't know why he recommended it.. - I will chat briefly but I will use what everyone is using.

thanks Patrick.