1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

transaxle fluid change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Mar 31, 2018.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok people keep saying the transaxle needs 4qt. Yeah you gotta buy 4 qts. But it seems to me it's more like 3.5 qts. I pulled out the filler tube and well I had a bunch over my arms trying to put the filler plug back in.
    BTW 30 to 40k change interval might be overkill. I changed it today along with my regular oil change at 168904 on the odometer last time I changed this stuff a bunch of meal came out at 130k odo.
    This time a very few flecks on the bottom of the oil recovery pan after I filled the fluid into the 4 containers. Last time I put 3.8 in had about 0.4 left in 5he container used about 0.2 for a quick rinse. Well compare the fluids after 38k miles[​IMG]
    Wonder if you can guess what's the old stuff sure as heck ain't black
    terramir

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, change interval is guesswork, and oil condition on the way out may be representative of tranny condition.

3. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some corrections since I can't seem to edit my first post meal=metal. Also last time I filled about 3.6qts in this time I accidentally filled in 3.8 and some came back out at me. Somehow toyota's 4qt. Recommendation / requirement for the 2nd gen prius is off by a mile. Seems like it's full at 3.5 to 3.6 qts. It's the filler tube that allowed me to stuff 3.8 in there.
    The position of the drain plug does not seem to leave room for stuff being left in there for #1 and 2ndly I measured what came out and including my 0.2qt. Flush and the stuff that ended up on my arm 3.5-3.6 seems to be the capacity. I called up luscious garage they said it's about 4 qts. 30 pumps but they couldn't be exact either. It's probably something we should watch. In the next two weeks I'll try it find some place exactly level and drive up on 4 pieces of wood just to get under there and open up the filler hole and check the level with my pinky finger.
    terramir

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have a look in your Owner's Manual:

upload_2018-4-4_10-52-49.png

Buy 4 quarts, drain the fluid, refill (with the car level), going slowly once you're past 3 quarts, till it starts coming back out. Not so hard.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    jerrymildred and terramir like this.
  5. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Owners manual??? I bought this thing as the 3rd owner 4th, 5th or 6th I'd you count the insurance and auction house and the mechanic that restored this thing (he actually dI'd a pretty good job whover he was). No such thing as an owners manual. But the shop manual (got in pdf off ebay) says 4 qts. LoL.
    But even 3.8 is a bit off the two times I did this . 1st time I had 0.4 left. Used 0.2 to flush put the last 0.2 in and 3.6 from the new 4 bottles and again I have 0.4 left and about 0.2 ran all over my hands after I took the fill tube out. So 3.8 is a bit on the high side of things.
    terramir

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Google "Toyota tech info", all the owner's manuals are available for download in PDF format. I would think the kosher Repair Manual would have the same numbers.

Ultimately, you fill till it starts coming back out, that's correct level.

Raytheeagle and terramir like this.
  7. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I think that all what needs to be done it's drain it, put the screw back, and start filling until the fluid starts to come back, knowing the capacity is not really useful since yo have to fill it until it starts coming back, of course the car needs to be leveled.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes.

I've attached some 2nd Gen Repair Manual info. Unlike subsequent Gen's, it doesn't suggest/describe a drain-and-fill, but does have some info.

Attached Files:

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Really all you need to do like any other car is just change it once to get all the run in wear out. I have changed mine multiple times with UOA's in the sticky. Last 2 hanges were a waste of time and money.

The trans is an engineering marvel how tough it is and how well it lasts with very few issues.

You shouldn't be seeing any "bunch of metal" coming out no matter what though. All I ever saw over 3 changes was a fuzzy magnet.
    But I used much better quality trans fluid than WS.