1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle hum but no warning lights.....help???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sfv41901, Feb 23, 2012.

1. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I looking to see if anyone has a scangauge I can borrow. I seem to have gotten a hum coming from the front end when I reach 40mph & higher. Todate, I have not gotten any warning lights, red trinagle etc, but wanted to see if maybe there were some codes thrown.

Lastnight, I put the front on jack stands & had my wife put the car in D & step on the gas while I was laying under the car. The noise is coming from the transmission where the axles plugin. My fear is I need a new tranny.....but if its a code related to the hybird system, I might be covered under warranty.

By the way, my Prius is a 06 w/ 108xxx miles. I changed the CVT fluid around 70xxx miles.

Thx in advance.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Scangauge Loaner in Los Angeles

Hum is not good. That usually reflects a bad mg. Also you would see much higher cvt temp caused by the bad mg. You could check that with a new Xgauge. It might be worth it to buy an xgauge as there very handy to have. If I lived in LA I would stop by but I'm in Fla.
    But a failed mg would also throw a slew of codes too. Odd.
    Because its not throwing any codes are you sure the sound is coming out of the trans and not a wheel bearing. Wheel bearing failure is pretty common on this car. I lost my LF wheel bearing at 30K and it made a humming wup wup noise at 40 and above.

And do you see any cvt fluid leaking out where the axles come out of the trans as those seals leak right there sometimes.
    Check fluid level asap to get that out of the way.

Btw, have you owned this car since new and or never been in a wreck?

3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I was just under there checking the fluid as u replied. It's fine & still looks new. No leaks around the axles. I was suspecting a WB as well until I got under it while the wheels where spinning. The noise is right around the tranny......not near the wheels. Today as I was driving & it started a slight vibration. I'm the 2nd owner. Got it with 55k miles. Clean title. I'll look into the Xgauge.....hope its not too much $$$.

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

what would be better:

SGII w/Xgauge

PLX Kiwi Bluetooth w/Torque app

Sorry, this is all new to me.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I remember reading that thread & a few others. They all seem to have gotten some sort of warning light on the dash.......which I haven't. I went into the maintenance screen & this is all I saw.

[​IMG]

What are the chances there were some codes thrown but dash lights didnt light?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Seen that mentioned before here and its basicly gibberish.

I own a Scangauge so am partial to that. Here's a list of codes available with the new Scangauge II:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/toyota-specific/

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, so I bought the kiwi Bluetooth adaptor so I can run the torque app. Cheaper than the SC2. $89 + $4.95 for the app. I'm hoping I won't see anything wrong.

Has anybody heard of the axles failing? I don't have CV joint noise, but don't know if the axle has a joint near the tyranny. Anybody woes have a clue?

9. UKCLASSICPRIUS

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mate seriously with these cars, until It aint broken, DONT fix it...!

wait for the issue to get worser, & lights to pop up, that will show the problem...

the best you could have done you done already by changing the transaxal fluid...

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good. Monitor cvt temps like that thread I linked. Trans on these cars run pretty cool. The bad mg will spike hot like 180F.

CV joints especially inners don't hum when they fail but
    hum is subjective but not sure what your asking is there a joint inside the trans that may be servicable? Doesn't matter you can't get any parts for it and you would have to pull the cvt anyway. At that point there's used cvt's available.

But are the inner & outer rubber cvt boots intact and not ripped or leaking?

And with no codes thrown its a head scratcher at this point.

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Both inner & outer boots are intact.

What I was referring to was the inside of the axle side closest to the tranny. Dose it have a joint & can that fail?

12. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thx but I would rather not way for a sever failure. Would like to catch it before I end up stranded on the side of the road.

13. shaneb

shaneb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The joint that goes into the transaxle is a very basic tri joint that doesnt usually give problems. I have had gen 2 prius do over 500,000km and give no trouble with the inner joint. The outer joints closest to the wheel have failed but they give a very distinct clicking sound when turning.
    If the mg temps are ok the bearing under the silent chain is failing. Early on it wont set any codes but as it gets worse they will light up.
    This is very common here in Cairns in the taxis.

1 person likes this.
  14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Once again, are you sure it's not a wheel bearing? That's a very common cause of humming in that area.

Tom

15. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there an easy way to test the WB?

So far I have tried the following:
    I've yanked the wheel from side to side.....no change
    I've lefted the front to see if there was any play in the wheel....none

If it was a wheel bearing, would the noise almost disappear when the wheels are off the ground?

If its the bearing under the silent chain, would this be covered under the 150k CARB warranty? Is there a way to test this bearing?

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Drive somewhere that you can make turns at speed. Get up to the speed where the hum is audible, then turn to one side and then the other. The turns should be sharp enough to generate noticeable side loading. A bad wheel bearing will be louder turning one direction, and quieter the other.

Tom

17. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok. So ill look for a parking lot big enough for 40+ mph turns & report back tomorrow. Thx.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Qbee is on it as thats how the Toy tech road tested it. Parking lot not neccessary. Drive down a quiet road and whip the wheel a little back and forth one direction then the other slowly. Like your avoiding a road hazard. If the noise gets louder as you whip it, it's the wheel your whipping into.

The WB would make the most sense 'cause if its a shorted MG it would throw codes.

I lost my LF WB at 30K on my 07. Fixed under 3/30.

1 person likes this.
  19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting. Is anyone rebuilding the transmissions up there Shane, or are just fitting new ones?

20. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Laying under a car while its running... yikes. Someone had to say it.
    If all tests for the wheel bearing seem negative, I would try draining the the transaxle fluid into a clean container , you can reinstall the fluid, after checking for the amount of metal on the magnetic drain plug, and also whatever shavings settles into your catch container. It may give a clue in the inside of the transaxle.
    I've considered doing this to my car halfway between fluid 'changes', filtering the transaxle fluid through a fresh coffee filter, and reinstalling it , as the car itself doesn't have a fluid filter.