1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle input shaft seal leaking after engine replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Unlimitedauto, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Unlimitedauto

Unlimitedauto New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I’ve been following and reading for a long time however this is my first time posting. Long story short I replaced the engine in a 2010 prius with a junk yard engine (80k)... only to find the transaxle was leaking from the input shaft seal. I removed the engine and trans again, replaced the seal, reinstalled only to find the seal is toast again. Upon removal found the torque limiter/plate looks as if it is rubbing on the seal. So my question is
    Are there more than one 1.8 l engine designs, flywheel design, torque limiter designs etc? Anyone ran into this before?

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed when I had my engine out that there were several ways the transaxle damper (clutch disc) could be put on the flywheel, but only one way it sat all the way on flush. There are dowel pins on the flywheel itself, but also rivets thru the clutch that need to sit in pockets on the flywheel. The difference is only like 1/4 inch. Maybe that was what did it? I’d suggest pulling only the engine to repair that trans seal. There is plenty of room to get the engine only out the top if you take off the water pump and exhaust manifold.

3. Salopeck James

Salopeck James Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you solve this issue? I did exact thing and input shaft seal leaked and I’ve now pulled engine again and want to not have to do it again! Thank you