1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle MG1 sensor wire position?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fredtr, Nov 20, 2011.

1. fredtr

fredtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm still trying to get my project 2001 Prius to attempt to start the ICE. I can drive the car around electric only, so MG2 is OK. I see a pulse of current going to MG1 as it does it's startup tests. So I'm thinking maybe the MG1 position sensor is faulty.

Does anyone know where on the transaxle the MG1 position sensor wire is located?

Or anyone have any ideas what may be not allowing the ECU to try to start the ICE? The code is P3215 but I don't have any way of reading the sub code.

Thanks,

Fred

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fred, you have AutoEnginuity w/Toyota? It will not give you the 3 digit code, even in the freeze frame data? This is for P3125 right?

3. fredtr

fredtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Unfortunatly it does not. What it does is to read 94 from who knows where and displays that. If I force other errors, for example unplugging HV. It then associates the 94 with that error. I have the latest Enginuity software and firmware and have the Toyota package.

This is the log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code ID: 0x3125
    + Display Text: 'P3125 Inverter Malfunction'
    + Code Type: Stored Code
    + Module: Manufacturer Specific
    *** No Freeze Frame Associated with code ***
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pulling Enhanced interface DTCs: completed
    COBDIIMainFrame::ShowCustomNoticeBoxDialog( bool show (Yes) )
    Pulling FF for 2 entries...
    FF Information #2:: 0.00 and 0.00
    FF Information #3:: 0.00 and 0.00
    FF Information #4:: 0.00 and 0.00
    Enhanced Freeze Frame for DTC P3125:
    + Information #2: 94

4. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sigh. I'd be interested in hearing what happens if get in touch with Jay Horak at AutoEnginuity and explain the short-coming. They do have Techstream, so maybe worst case is that you trailer the car over to them and they give you the code. Better might be a site visit from one of them to show that there is a real issue here. I think you are screwed without knowing the 3 digit INF code.

I've attached the MG1 physical diagram that shows where the sensor wiring harness exits.

Attached Files:

• mg1.GIF
      mg1.GIF
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
  5. fredtr

fredtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank-you for the response. I asked them on Friday what they would charge to come out here and read the code, I'm about an hour from their facility. They said they don't do that.

Am I understanding the drawing correctly? Going down the left side, satrting at the power cable cover, about 60 degrees counter clockwise there is a wiring harness connector. And that is where the sensor wire is?

Thats great, thanks, I will put a scope of the signals, see if I can see anything when it sends the initial test pulses.

6. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Besides Techstream, you can also try ScangaugeII with Xguage. I 've verified the INF codes are the same being read by Techstream. Any way for you to borrow a SGII to test?

Vincent

1 person likes this.
  7. fredtr

fredtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank-you for the suggestion. I will buy a different scanner, if it actually works. I didn't understand what XGAUGE is. I clicked the link and it brought me to a thread about someone diagnosing a different problem. Is XGAUSGE a separate package I need to buy? Is it like Auoenginuity and I need to buy a Toyota package and then a yearly subscription?

Thanks,

Fred

8. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    XGauge a.k.a. Add-A-Gauge is a feature that let you customize your SGII by adding additional vehicle specific digital gauges. It came with SGII as standard and no need yearly subscription. It is not as powerful as AE but if INF codes are all you need, then the SGII is able to do that.

Vincent

9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Vincent, that's good to know. It is a shame that AE does not fully support Gen 1. I was hoping that Fred's proximity and definite bug will pique their interest, but apparently not. However, Fred, I do encourage you to try to reach Jay Horak, who I think is the lead engineer for the Toyota package.

1 person likes this.
  10. fredtr

fredtr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I jacked up the car, thinking I could put a scope on the MG1 and MG2 positions sensors, see if I can see a problem with MG1 and maybe even get the ICE to start. I have the wheels turning, speedometer says I'm going between 5 and 20 mph. What I don't see is the ICE turning. I thought the ICE was always connected to the outer ring gear. Can someone explain to me what engages the ICE?

Thanks,

Fred