1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle oil change at 135k?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rolan787, Mar 13, 2021.

1. rolan787

rolan787 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello, I have a 2012 Prius v with 135k miles that has never had a transaxle oil change. Was wondering if it would be ok to change it now or if it may cause problems down the road. I've never had a CVT before and I'm basing this on traditional automatic transmissions which sometimes start slipping and having problems if the oil is changed after too much time, this happened to me on a 2000 Jetta with a first change at 90k miles. Thoughts or experiences? For sure I know never changing the oil definitely will cause problems down the road...

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Better late than never.

The Prius doesn't have a CVT in the manner you're probably thinking. It's an eCVT which operates completely differently. Put very simply, it uses two electric motors and a planetary gear set to distribute and proportion power to and from the wheels, engine, and battery. No clutches (except limited travel damper plates connecting the engine & transaxle), and no torque converters. It's a marvel of engineering.
    If I'm not mistaken, the v has the same transaxle as the regular Gen 3 Prius which is a P410. Here's a quick look at how it works. Professor Kelly isn't the most exciting teacher, but his content is tremendous.

3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    In my experience a drain and refill causes no harm.
    A power flush can cause problems.

I would be inclined to do the oil change.
    Good luck with your project.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Change it. You electric motors will thank you.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nothing wrong with changing it now. 125k sooner would be even better.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. rolan787

rolan787 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the replies! I'll let you know how it goes!

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stick with Toyota ATF WS fluid. Purchase 4 quarts (plus the fill and drain bolt washers).

Torque for both bolts is 29 ft lbs. Remove fill bolt first, just in case you encounter problems. A longer handled wrench or breaker bar is good. They’re both 10 mm socket head cap screw, and there are Allen-key style “sockets” available for ratchet wrenches. Don’t even entertain using an Allen-key and pipe extension.

Correct level is easily achieved by filling till it flows back out, with the car raised and LEVEL.

It’ll take about 3.5 qts to fill. A funnel with hose from above is dead simple: just go slow, 100 cc at a time, beyond 3 qts. Toyota recommends to NOT save left over, just recycle.

Addendum: Attached Repair Manual excerpt has transaxle fluid instruction. It's for regular 3rd gen, but the same procedure for the v:

#7 Mendel Leisk, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, it's wise to note the steps in the instructions: loosen the fill bolt before the drain bolt just in case you have problems getting the fill bolt loose. No fun draining the fluid and then discovering you can't fill it because the fill plug is goobered up.

TheLandYacht and meeder like this.