1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transaxle or ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Normb, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Normb

Normb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Prius. 190k miles. In San Diego, so hot summers...not Phoenix hot...90s. Mild winters. No san or salt on roads.

5k oil and filter regularly. Got new HV battery at 142k. Changed the coolant switching valve done on my $. Coolant pump changed under Recall. Steering mid shaft done. Front pads replaced at 120k. Rear shoes getting very close to replacment. Trans fluid change at 120k per manual and at 190k. Plugs at 120k.

Two new issues: when coasting in N, pretty quiet. Driving or coasting in D, there is a growl. At 35-40 mph, wind noise masks it. Frequency increases with speed. It isn't getting worse. And no better after the transaxle fluid change. Can't be CV or bearings because it only happens when in motion in D. No lights on MFD. I have not looked for codes.

#2 increasingly noticeable inverter whine with power on, ICE OFF. headlights on. I ain't sneaking up on anyone anymore with the ICE OFF. ;)

Ideas?

TIA

Norm

Whoops. The 1st transaxle fluid change was at 100k

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! the gen IV is looking very good.:)

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Reports of bearing failure in the differential section. Go to lusciousgarage.com and poke around as they discuss it.

4. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I got the same issues as your prius also located in san diego! Anyways mine is accompanied with a transmission sensor failure code. Makes the whirring noise while coasting as well. I fear it's the transmission. Just going to drive mine till the transmission fails. Mileage barely affected by this issue.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    An excellent idea. I recommend this to the OP as well.

Normb and Mavi like this.
  6. Normb

Normb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the plan. Try to keep the ICE running until the transaxle fails.