1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transfer VA clean special fuel plates to a lease hybrid/electric?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Xtgirl, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Xtgirl

Xtgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,
    I wasn't sure where to put this topic, but has anyone transferred the clean fuel plates from their own prius hybrid car to a new lease hybrid/electric? I cannot find anything on the dmv website and want to lease an electric then buy something else down the road when the electric technology might be better. Thanks,Jen

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For accurate information, you should pick up the phone and call.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do agree that you should contact your local DMV for those type of questions. Only individuals within your state that already have a plate like yours and has done something like what you are contemplating could theoretically give you a correct answer.

Great question, but really should be answered by a local authority.

Why wait? Get what you want today. You can always get something better later on. Make sure you check out what leasing is really all about. I started to lease a new Leaf, but in the end went and bought a new Prius.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    which ev are you looking at?

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jen - quite a few of our VA PriusChat members have transferred the HOV plates. I assume dealers in the area are good at that...however, maybe you are heading to MD for the transaction and you may be worried if they handle it properly? I know member DadofHedgehog has done this, may have some tips maybe send him a note. Keep looking or call DMV.

What'd you decide on the battery? Did you see my note about MAC repair shop in Ashburn?

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Jen,

VA has a special registration center that handles the clean fuel plates. I'm not sure if the dealer is able to do a direct transfer from one hybrid to another like they could on typical tags.

I could be wrong, but a quick call to the DMV (oxymoron I know as nothing in the DMV is quick) main office in richmond, not the local office. would give you the best up to date info...