1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transforming prius prime to regular prius. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Priipriii, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I made a post about what would happen, if anything, if I doubled the batteries in my car. And the responses I got was that is exactly what the plug-in versions are.

That got me thinking because there is A LOT of primes out there for sale that are losing value primarily due to the batteries dying and the owner knows how expensive it is to replace. If I happen to find a prime that has its batteries worn out, I have no doubt I can get it cheaper than a regular Prius due to assumption you will have to change all the batteries to get it working again.

BUT do I really? If all the components are the same, can I not just swap out the tray with any prius tray that is non-plug in and have it work the same? I assume the ECU on the prime and pip versions account for more modules than just 14, correct? So my plan would be to swap everything except the thick orange cables that run to the hood. I would be saving weight, space, and money, but mainly money.

Anyone tried this? If so, does it work? I know this is technically a downgrade to the car, but in certain situations like buying used with no working batteries, this can be an upgrade to getting it road ready for cheap.

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a gen-3 and a prime. I drive either of them on a daily basis. My wife and I both prefer to drive the prime. On any given day which one of us leaves the house first, will usually jump in the prime and go. Leaving the gen-3 for the other person to use that day.

The gen-3 will only EV at low speeds [like <9mph]. Whereas the Prime software allows it to EV at all speeds.

For us driving the prime is more like a game. Can we do our errands and make it home again all on the EV charge, or if we go further, then as we re-charge the HV battery, how much do we need to re-charge to make it all the way home on EV. My wife is thrilled each time that she can work it to get her back into our driveway on EV. Even if she drove 100 miles that day on the ICE.

Realistically since the gen-3 software prohibits EV driving at normal speeds, we rarely even think about using EV in that car.

As per the OP, I think you are correct. A prime with a dead HV battery would act very much like a gen-3.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are NOT A LOT of primes for sale, and no one is worried about replacing the battery.

the few you can find for sale are increasing in value.

no, you cannot just 'swap out the tray', please don't burn your house down

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't say plugin Prius is exact same thing as a Prius with two battery packs. I said that when they launched the original Plugin Prius a decade ago they based their initial design on those well established efforts.

As for your latest question: The cost of a new set of batteries isn't going to make the most reliable Prius ever built significantly cheaper just because there's more batteries to replace. Also there's no way to take half the battery power out of a plugin Prius and have it still run normally unless you spoof a great number of sensors, which is likely impossible.

What's more used Gen3 and Gen2 have doubled in price in past couple years because of high gas prices and buyers wanting to go all electric despite prices still being unaffordable and having to wait. As in there used to be a dozen used Prius on craigslist in Seatlle area on a constant basis for more than a decade. But in past year you're lucky if you see one or two.

5. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is VERY SIMPLE to fix the issues with prescription drug costs and medical insurance costs.
    It is VERY TRIVIAL to fix the world food problems.
    It is VERY SIMPLE to have world piece.

Oops, sorry.
    I'm just getting off the LSD that Priipriii and I were sharing. That's some good ******!
    :D

Priipriii, bisco and PriusCamper like this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Contrary to the divinity of Hunter S Thompson's teachings of extreme use... Super tiny microdose use of psychedelics as much as every other day have more than enough ongoing clinical studies to eventually validate their inclusion in your daily vitamins.

If you want to get better at your work, your family, your life in general... Seek out microdose opportunities and try them as soon as it presents itself: Can Microdosing Psychedelics Improve Your Mental Health? - Science in the News

Adults who microdose psychedelics report health related motivations and lower levels of anxiety and depression compared to non-microdosers: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-01811-4

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    worked for aaron rogers...

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was a historic moment for the popular acceptance of entheogens!

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Baring breaking physically laws, the answer to 'Is it possible?' is very frequently 'How much can you afford?'

It absolutely is possible, will it be any cheaper than rebuilding the Prime's battery? I doubt it. It's resale is very likely $0 as a buyer is going to claim fraud if you sell it as a Prime, or as a Prius. It will be neither. Similarly, no mechanic is going to want to work on it, it will be tough to insure, license and registration may be unique, etc.

But yes, I bet it is possible. (Why would you?)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the o/p toying with our affections? 3 odd threads so far. i won't use the t word yet, cause i always get reprimanded.
    okay, i guess toying is a t word, but so is toyota. well, a t name anyway. where are my psych meds :unsure:

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is obviously very upsetting to you... First time I've seen you use almost 50 words in a reply in years. I hope you have a friend you can talk to so you can calm yourself down?

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do have a friend, inside my head:

watch

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Try my buddy ...

th.jpeg

he's not just for traction packs anymore
    ;)

14. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Collisioned primes mostly, basically junkyard cars to rebuild.

15. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know replacement battery packs for Toyota Hybrids range from $2,000-$7,000 depending on if you're going with OEM or aftermarket or rebuilt but how much are replacement battery packs for Primes? I've never seen the price range. (I suppose I could Google it, huh....but I often say, after Googling something, "I don't know about that!" I"m old school....wanna hear stuff from people.)

16. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are exactly the same batteries as a regular prius, but its I think 4x more cells than the regular. You are going from 1.1 kw to 8.8 kw of storage. So its safe to assume it will be 4x the cost to get them all replaced, but if you DIY by switching out each cell, thats still 4x the number of cells you gotta service and switch out

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  17. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Makes sense...so $8,000-$14,000. One website said the Toyota Prime batteries last 3-8 years and I seriously doubt that, knowing Toyota's.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that would be very expensive for toyota, seeing that the warranty is 10/150.

ColoradoBoo likes this.