1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transistor Kit and Bad gas mileage now, PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike E, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Mike E

Mike E New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello there, to all the techs and others in this forum. Please I need your help as the local dealer says this is normal for my 2010 Prius III, not three, liftback. I need to know if this is true.

Back in November 2015, the Prius would not start at all, I had it towed to the local dealer. They found out that the Transistor Kit, part # 04899-47021 was the reason for the car not to come on and being able drive. My major problem now is the gas mileage and the engine idling/running too too often.

Before the repair my Prius would get like 47 to 52 mpg driving around San Diego area in economy mode on the car.

After the repair now I have been getting the worst mpg and the engine idles/running way too much. The car now does this when I start up with the display on the full car symbol and arrows from battery pack to engine to front car. I would go to start the car with nothing on but the radio on and the battery icon would have 5 bars displayed, almost full. The car's engine would come on and idle for almost 2 minutes. I have a video of this, but after 1 minute the icon arrows on the display would stop and go away, but the car would keep idling for another minute. The car never did this before, it used to only make the engine idle/run if the bars on display for battery was like 3 bars or lower. Also idles/runs at coasting, coming down hills, and at lights. Explained below.

I did what the dealer told me to do and filled the gas tank to kept track of the gas mileage, the first tank after the repair I got 46 mpg, but the display on the computer said 50.5. The second tank full which is the last tank I just did I got even worse mileage, I got 42 mpg and again the computer said 50.5.

The most recent last week, car would idle/run at a red light as I came off the freeway with full bars displayed, meaning the battery is fully charged. I coasted to the red light coming off the freeway and sat at light for about a minute. The engine was idling the whole time. Also when coasting down a hill or coming to a red light in other city driving the engine would also idle. All the times this happens the battery icon shows at least 5 or more bars. Not like it used to if lower then 3 bars. I always have the car in economy mode and drive very light footed to try and get the best gas mileage.

PLEASE help me, I need help badly cause the dealer is telling me this is normal for the Prius now.

My question is do other Prius run like this and is this normal. I only owned the car since Feb 2015 and it never did this before. Only after the Transistor was replaced.

Thank you so much for your help and time. Mike

2. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! there's a whole thread on lower mpg's after the recall update. some suspect a bad flash of the software. read through it and see what you come up with. all the best.(y)

4. Mike E

Mike E New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you I will ask the dealer I m taking it into another dealer as suggestion of the manufacture help line

I hope hat might be it. I m unhappy with the new program

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're in good company.

6. Mike E

Mike E New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bisco. So you have the same problem. Did you get it fixed or did your dealer figure out how to fix