1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transitioning from Camry Hybrid to Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by taxibuddy, Jan 31, 2018.

1. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone! I'm a new owner of a 2014 Prius v Two. I'm semi-involuntarily transitioning to the Prius from a 2013 Camry Hybrid LE. 'Involuntarily' because I totalled the Camry. 'Semi' because I could have bought another Camry, but I ended up with the Prius instead.

The Prius has about 157k on the clock compared to the Camry which had about 65k before its untimely death. The Prius is on its second traction battery. The first one was replaced by the previous owner under warranty at the 97,000 mark after two years and two months of service. As far as I know, the engine is the original engine, but there are no service records whatsoever besides the battery swap.

What I miss from the Camry:
    * Temperature gauge
    * Analog power meter
    * Torque and power
    * Refinement
    * Near field sensors on passenger door and trunk
    * Traditional dashboard placement
    * Humidity sensor on windshield
    * Comfortable seat
    * Superior steering wheel switchgear
    * Conventional PRNDB selector
    * Quiet interior

What I don't miss from the Camry:
    * Small trunk
    * Non-folding rear seat
    * Uncomfortable steering wheel

Comparing a Prius v and Camry Hybrid is apples to oranges but really what's the point of comparing apples to apples? I like both cars. The Prius is a great commuting appliance which is what I need right now. It wouldn't be my first choice for a road trip. I drove it from New York to Atlanta and found it adequate, but driving it to work and back is perfect.

priusv.JPG

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I heard of people using that in the Camry world, but it's probably not for me. I need to maintain the stock look as much as possible, plus making an LCD display that works well at night and in bright sun is a challenge even for OEMs and aftermarket products usually get it wrong in my experience.

I used the temperature gauge in the Camry to decide when to turn on the heater so as not to run the ICE just to heat water. The analog power meter in the Camry is far superior to the bar meter in the Prius and is helpful for minimizing use of the friction brakes. I can live without both gauges of course. I like the Prius and I knew going in that it wouldn't match the Camry in all respects (and vice versa).