1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Translate blinking light codes ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sponge9012, Oct 28, 2018.

1. sponge9012

sponge9012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2005 Prius, 200,000 miles, got the big red ⚠️ as well as check engine, ((!)), abs, vcs, brake lights all on

was told i needed to replace my traction battery and i did, check engine and the ⚠️ went away but the brake system lights remained on.

I tried to clear with the paperclip jumper but they came back immediately. i was able to read the following blinking light codes

((!)) 66 abs 42 vcs 45

i have slightly low voltage on my 12V battery (right around 11.9-12.1 standing, stays above 11 under load and normal when on) so i was intending on possibly replacing it

can anyone fill me in a little bit and help me get back on the road ?

2. sponge9012

sponge9012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry for the double post but i received no replies. so often people leave problems with no solution or resolution so i didnt want to add to that.

i used a $20 mini VCI clone cable from amazon, performed a linear offset initialization with the techstream software, and that did the trick !

Raytheeagle, bisco and davecook89t like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well done!(y)

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but yup, those are the codes when the car wants to learn the ABS linear solenoid offset. There's also a jumper wire technique to trigger learning the offset, for when you don't have Techstream handy.

-Chap

5. Prius1mil

Prius1mil New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How do I count blinks?

#5 Prius1mil, Sep 16, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2022
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ABS - 42
    ECB - 52, 57.

ABS 42 just means that the ABS heard from the ECB that it has issues. Go over there and ask what the issues are.

ECB 52 = C1252 - Brake Booster Pump Motor on Time Abnormally Long
    ECB 57 = C1256 - Accumulator Low Pressure

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Naturally, the C1252 and C1256 are related: the pump runs when it needs to make up the accumulator pressure. If the pump can't build up the pressure fast enough (maybe because the pump is worn out, or more likely because an internal leak in the system is bleeding the pressure off too fast for the pump to keep up), then the pressure will be too low, and the pump will stay running too long.

You should check, though, that you actually hear the pump running, when the system thinks it is running too long. If there is no pump sound, there may be an electrical problem powering the pump. If the system only thinks it is running the pump, but no pumping happens, then of course the pressure won't rise and the pump "run" will go on abnormally long.

8. Prius1mil

Prius1mil New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I noticed a module in the glove box from the person I bought my prius from. Toyota Prius 86652 20010 068900 3540 Body Control Module Junction Box Skid Denso. Could this have anything to do with the problem I am having? I have not been able to locate where this came from on the car. Is my Brake controller module bad and just need to be replaced?

Attached Files:

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I guess that's the skid control box or relay it looks like it has a speaker on it so I guess it beats when it's activated or something maybe there was something wrong with it and it was replaced I would hate to think it was just unplugged and removed but it's all possible I would think that's just the old one in the new one is in its place I don't even know where that's located right off I have haven't even looked but if that's unplugged and left out that could be causing a problem but I would think your skid control light would be on which might also activate the ABS the VSC and the traction control light all could possibly be on

10. CosmicBrownie

CosmicBrownie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hey Chap, really helpful stuff here with the blink codes. I’m also getting ECB 41, 52 and 57 and can hear a pump running. Does this mean I need to replace the brake actuator assembly? It seems like 52 and 57 point toward that, but 41 seems to be a bit nebulous.

11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You certainly might need a replacement brake actuator assembly.

I would do some testing first, as I have read about people replacing the actuator (a couple times!) "because it's always THAT part" , only to find out it was really a wiring fault all along.

C1241 (flash 41) indicates that the voltage at the brake control ecu was too low - 1 of the code set criteria is under 8.9V for more than 3 seconds.

IF there's not enough power for the pump to operate correctly, then it COULD cause the other codes (C1252 - pump runs too long, & C1257 - accumulator low pressure).

Get yourself a copy of the service manual and carry out the code test procedures.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.