1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Translation needed

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by maggieddd, Aug 10, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Can someone translate the following for me:

Ingrédients :

500 g de carottes
    1 pincée de sel
    1 cuillerée à soupe de sucre en poudre
    1 cuillerée à soupe d'eau de fleur d'oranger
    le jus d'1 citron
    2 oranges
    1 filet d'huile d'olives (facultatif)
    Préparation :

Râper finement les carottes. Les arroser du mélange sel, jus de citron, sucre, eau de fleur d'oranger, huile. Mélanger. Disposer sur assiettes et décorer de tranches d'oranges pelées à vif. Servir frais.

Faire bouillir longuement dans une casserole d'eau 1 clou de girofle, thym, persil, 2 oignons coupés en rondelles, 3 cives hachées, sel, poivre, un morceau de piment. Couper en morceaux un kilo de poissons, les frotter de citron vert et les plonger dans le court-bouillon. Laisser cuire de 10 à 15 minutes. Ajouter un jus de citron et une gousse d'ail écrasée.

Servir les poissons dans ce bouillon très parfumé.

THANK YOU

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maggieddd @ Aug 10 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]301020[/snapback]</div>
    I used several web translators.

here are the results. You can probably get the gist combining them all and averaging them out.

Ingredients:

500 g of carrots
    1 salt pair of pliers
    1 spoonful to dines sugar in powder
    1 spoonful to dines flower water of
    orange-tree juice d'
    1 lemon 2 orange ones
    1 oil net of olives (optional) Preparation:

Grate finely the carrots. To water them mixture salt, lemon juice, sweetens, flower water of orange-tree, oils. Mix. Dispose on plates and decorate slicees of orange ones peeled to lively. Serve fresh.

Boil at length in a water saucepan 1 clove, thyme, parsley, 2 cut onions in rondelles, 3 minced cives, salt, pepper, a hot pepper piece. Cut in pieces a kilo of fish, to rub them green lemon and dive them in the current broth. Leave to cook of 10 to 15 minutes. Add a lemon juice and a garlic pod crushed.

Serve the fish in this very perfumed broth.

Ingredients:
    500 G of carrots
    1 salt
    1 pinch spoonful with caster sugar soup
    1 spoonful with water soup of flower of orange tree juice of
    1 lemon
    2 oranges
    1 olive oil net (optional)
    Preparation: To grate carrots finely. To sprinkle salt mixture, lemon juice, sweetens, water of flower of orange tree, oils. To mix. To lay out on plates and to decorate with sections with oranges peeled with sharp.
    To be useful fresh. 2. To make boil lengthily in a water 1 pan clove, thyme, parsley, 2 onions cut out of discs, 3 cives chopped, salt, pepper, a piece of pepper. To cut of pieces one kilo of fish, to rub them of green lemon and to plunge them in the court-bouillon. To let cook from 10 to 15 minutes. To add a lemon juice and a clove of garlic crushed.
    To serve fish in this very scented bubble.
    Ingredients:
    500 G of carrots
    1 salt pinch
    1 spoonful with caster sugar soup
    1 spoonful with water soup of flower of orange tree the juice lemon-yellow d'1
    2 oranges
    1 olive oil net (optional)
    Preparation: To grate carrots finely. To sprinkle salt mixture, lemon juice, sweetens, water of flower of orange tree, oils. To mix. To lay out on plates and to decorate with sections with oranges peeled with sharp.
    To be useful fresh. 2. To make boil lengthily in a water 1 pan clove, thyme, parsley, 2 onions cut out of discs, 3 cives chopped, salt, pepper, a piece of pepper. To cut of pieces one kilo of fish, to rub them of green lemon and to plunge them in the court-bouillon. To let cook from 10 to 15 minutes. To add a lemon juice and a clove of garlic crushed.
    To serve fish in this very scented bubble.

It might help if I knew what this was a recipe for.

You might want to search epicurious.com in both the recipes and the members for something similar already in English.

3. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Aug 10 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]301038[/snapback]</div>
    That's one of the ones I used.

Google also has a translator as does dictinary.com

5. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 10 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]301043[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry...saw yours after I had sent the link.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, vichyssois! (fish soup) These literal translations are hilarious. I'd skip the pair of pliers, and just use your fingers to measure a 'pinch'. A 'cuilleree a soupe' is a tablespoon, and 'sucre en poudre' is icing sugar. Let us know how it turns out! Bon appetit, mes amis!

7. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Here's what I came up with. If I wasn't sure of the usage or context, I put braces around it. [Like this] It's been a long time since I've worked with any French, so any actual French folk, please forgive me if I made a mess.

Ingrédients :

500 g de carottes ---- 500 g of carrots
    1 pincée de sel ----- 1 pinch of salt
    1 cuillerée à soupe de sucre en poudre -------- 1 tablespoon of powdered suger
    1 cuillerée à soupe d'eau de fleur d'oranger ------ 1 tablespoon of orange blossom water
    le jus d'1 citron ------- the juice of one lemon
    2 oranges ------- 2 oranges
    1 filet d'huile d'olives (facultatif) ----- a dash of olive oil (optional)
    Préparation :

Râper finement les carottes. Les arroser du mélange sel, jus de citron, sucre, eau de fleur d'oranger, huile. Mélanger. Disposer sur assiettes et décorer de tranches d'oranges pelées à vif. Servir frais.

Finely grate the carrots. [Sprinkle the mix of] salt, lemon juice, suger, orange blossom water, and oil. Mix.
    Lay on a plate and decorate with [bright] slices of orange peel. Serve cold.

Faire bouillir longuement dans une casserole d'eau 1 clou de girofle, thym, persil, 2 oignons coupés en rondelles, 3 cives hachées, sel, poivre, un morceau de piment. Couper en morceaux un kilo de poissons, les frotter de citron vert et les plonger dans le court-bouillon. Laisser cuire de 10 à 15 minutes. Ajouter un jus de citron et une gousse d'ail écrasée.

Servir les poissons dans ce bouillon très parfumé.

[At length], boil in one saucepan [the extract of one clove], thyme, parsley, 2 sliced onions, 3 cubes of bullion, salt, pepper, a piece of a pepper (might be chili pepper). Cut a kilogram of fish into pieces, rub it with a [young or green or raw] lemon and plunge it into []-stock. (I have no idea what "court" should mean here) Let cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the juice of a lemon and a chrushed clove of garlic.

Serve the fish with this [sweet-smelling or flavorfull] [stock or sauce].

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 10 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]301053[/snapback]</div>

Okay. Did a little editing for the lime and paprika.

500 Grams of carrots, finely grated
    1 pinch salt
    1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
    1 tablespoon of orange water. (I'm thinking you could substitute a 1/2 tsp orange extract)
    1 lemon (probably juice of one lemon)
    2 oranges (I'm thinking maybe juice of one orange and one orange sliced to garnish)
    1 olive oil net (optional) (possibly extra virgin olive oil? perhaps a splash?)

Preparation: Sprinkle salt mixture, lemon juice, sweeters, orange water, oils. Mix with carrots. Lay out on plates and decorate with sections of oranges, peeled or orange rind.

Bring water to a boil. Add 1 tsp cloves, thyme, parsley, 1/2 cup (?) diced onions (or two slices onion) [two onions seems excessive], <strike>1/3 cup (?) chives</strike> Okay, 3 cups bullion makes sense, chopped, salt & pepper to taste, sprinkle with paprika. Cut of pieces one kilo of fish, then rub them of sliced lime and to plunge them in the bouillon. Let cook from 10 to 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and a clove of garlic, crushed.
    To serve fish in this very scented sauce.

Epicurious.com has some nice vichyssoise recipes, but none with fish. And I notice these have cream and the recipes above do not. Hmmm. Are you sure this is vichyssoise?

I happen to love sorrel so I like this one:

Sorrel Vichyssoise

Chive and cucumber Vichyssoise

Lemon Zucchini vischyssoise

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Thanks everyone, I was hoping that someone who knows French would translate it for me.
    I already tried those online translators.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll ask my daughter for some translation help tonight after work. Maybe you could cook this tomorrow instead? :)

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawkjm73 @ Aug 10 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]301069[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds good. I think "un morceau de piment" could be pimento?

also citron vert could be lime. I took French but I haven't done food in a long time.

12. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 10 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]301110[/snapback]</div>
    I want to make this today, could you hurry up? What time is she getting home?

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 10 2006, 05:14 PM) [snapback]301112[/snapback]</div>
    Pimento doesn't really make sense but paprika does. And paprika might translate as pepper too. I really don't see a piece of bell pepper or chili pepper in this. But I can see sprinkling the fish with paprika before it goes in the buillon.

They don't say what kind of bullion either. Could be chicken, beef or even vegetable. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as fish bullion. A few of the vichyssoise recipes I read called for chicken broth.

I edited my translation to reflect the lime and paprika.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, Maggie, she won't be home for a couple of hours. I phoned and left her a message, but haven't heard back yet. So, come on over about 5:30 with the fish and your recipe, and we'll have you cooking a la francaise in no time. :D

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawkjm73 @ Aug 10 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]301069[/snapback]</div>

Hm. Simmer? Boil? Poach? It couldn't be reduce the stock, not with the fish in it.

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 10 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]301140[/snapback]</div>
    It's already 6:50, so can you adjust to my clock? :)

OK, I am going to make the first recipe and maybe the second tomorrow

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, here ya go.

Ingredients:

one pound of carrots
    a pinch of salt
    one tablespoon icing sugar
    one tablespoon orange blossom water
    juice from one lemon
    two oranges
    one splash of olive oil

Preparation:

Finely grate carrots. Coat with mixture of salt, lemon juice, sugar, orange flower water, and olive oil. Place on plates and decorate with peeled orange slices. Serve fresh.

and a deux: (Maybe it's not soup. The amount of water isn't specified. Try just enough to immerse the fish and let it boil off as it cooks, but don't let the fish dry out.)

Boil together a clove, thyme, parsley, two onions sliced in rings, three chopped chives, salt, pepper, and a piece of hot pepper. Cut two pounds of fish into pieces, rub it with lime, and immerse it in the cooking broth. Let cook 10 - 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and grated garlic. Serve fish in wonderfully aromatic broth.

Viola!

What time is dinner? :)

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 10 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]301131[/snapback]</div>
    sure thing

19. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 10 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]301196[/snapback]</div>
    the carrot salad is ready. The fish is coming tomorrow or Saturday

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks great, Maggie, but aren't we going to get kind of hungry between the salad and the main course? What day is dessert? :rolleyes: