1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

translator wanted and some codes found

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by evnz, Apr 13, 2013.

1. evnz

evnz New Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have got my car to flash at me and show me a massage and I am after your knowledge to answer the code or point me to where to fined the answers

thanks
    owen

Attached Files:

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I do not read Japanese but it reminds me of some of the internal "diagnostics" . . . not really general car diagnostics. In the 2001-03 Prius, they show some of the bus interfaces but nothing useful for figuring out what is not working or why.

You might want to join the Yahoo Group for your model:
    Mk1_Prius : Mk1 Prius (Japanese export) global owners group.

It used to be fairly active and the messages, files, and photos might help.

Bob Wilson

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

If you saw these things by jumpering the TC pin to CG at the diagnostic link connector, then (1) you are seeing the Japanese-language version of the AVC-LAN diagnostics on the multifunction display. As far as I know, that's no different from the English version except for the language. It isn't really for diagnosing anything except the AVC-LAN (which connects the audio and nav equipment) and the MFD touchscreen itself (though it does have a voltage display for the 12 volt system, which is sometimes handy if you don't have a scangauge or other meter nearby.)

(2) you are also seeing codes from various other computers in the car being blinked out on different lights in the combination meter. Anything that is blinking a steady fast 1/2 second on 1/2 second off is giving you a normal, no-codes report. Otherwise, you are getting two-digit codes, like blink-blink ... blink-blink-blink for 23. If a computer has multiple codes to report it blinks them out one after another (the pause between codes is longer than the pause between digits in one code). When it loops back around to the first one you saw, you know you've got them all.

The lights, and which computer's codes each one shows, are:

Check Engine - the Engine Control Module
    ABS - the brake ECU
    Airbag - the airbag/supplemental restraint ECU
    Door - the Body ECU (in some cases, if it knows the combo meter isn't working to blink the Door light, it will blink the dome light instead).

The Hybrid Vehicle ECU and Traction Battery ECU do not have any lights to blink for codes; they can only be queried with a Prius-aware scanner.

The power steering ECU has an output for blinking a light, and the wiring harness carries that signal all the way to the combination meter but there isn't a light there, so to read its codes you either need to supply an LED and resistor of your own, or use a Prius-aware scanner.

You read heater-A/C codes with a different procedure (key to ON with heater fan OFF, press A/C button three times, turn heater fan switch to AUTO). Again, steady fast blink means nothing to report.

Descriptions of what all of the codes mean, as well as how to get into the English-language AVC-LAN diagnostics and how to wire a steering ECU code light, are all in volume 1 of the service manual, which you can access at techinfo.toyota.com or buy in paper form from helminc.com.

-Chap

bwilson4web likes this.