1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission and Hybrid failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ogprius, Dec 16, 2019.

1. ogprius

ogprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a 2007 touring with about 100k miles. The hybrid battery has failed but I can still drive it while I decide whether it is worth getting it fixed. However now the cvt transmission is periodically failing to go into a higher ratio - I can floor it and the car won't go over about 20-30mph. If I pull over, turn the engine off and restart, it will usually drive normally. This happens while driving and there doesnt seem to be an action causing it. My questions are
    - could this be connected with the failed hybrid system - i.e. if I fix the hybrid will the transmission return to normal? I have read some comments that the transmission performance can be affected by the battery/electrical system
    - is this likely a failed transmission or is there a simpler explanation that could cause it? I read that some simple sensor failures could also be the problem.
    I am debating whether to keep the car or not, if I have to replace the transmission, that is probably the death knell. Thanks

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How long have you owned this vehicle, and how many miles per year do you plan on driving?

Are you able to lift 80lbs (or 40lbs with a friend), and do you have mechanical skills?

Yes, the hybrid system is interconnected. You need both, including a usable HV battery.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd suspect yes. Maybe pony up the $100~150 for a dealership diagnosis, see what they say.

4. ogprius

ogprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    dealer said the hybrid was dead, as did local mechanic, the transmission is a new event. So it sounds like you think the transmission issue is likely related to the dead hybrid? Anyone know anything about "green bean" to replace the hybrid battery? Don't drive the car much, probably just need it as a kid car for a couple years.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your symptoms are normal... The apparent transmission problem is simply your car protecting its hyrbid system from further damage, which your avoidance of the problems makes it seem like something you're determined to do.

First step is to read the error codes and their subcodes via Dr. Prius App and and an OBD2 Bluetooth reader: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Or for even greater detail you can use a mini-VCI reader with Toyota Techstream Software: 16pin Mini VCI Toyota Lexus TechStream OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scanner v14 | eBay

It's quite possible that you have an inexpensive repair, like a clogged cooling fan, or corrosion in the cooling fan circuit, or corrosion in the voltage sensing harness and your car will be quickly and inexpensively fixed. Of course if you take it to a Toyota Stealership they turn these tiny molehills into mountains and charge you $500 to tell you the repairs will cost more than the value of the car and the only option is a great deal on an upside down loan on a new Prius. Stay away from these criminals unless it's a free repair covered under a new vehicle warranty.

If you or friends don't want to work on cars/don't want to learn, then find an honest local mechanic who has experience working on hybrid cars.

As far as how Prius Chat can help you online, we can't help much unless you can give us the primary error codes and sub-codes.

Aaron Vitolins and SFO like this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We need more details/error codes... An entire system isn't entirely dead, usually it's something specific that can be repaired. If this is all they literally said then they don't have any experience repairing old hybrids and have no interest in learning.

Find someone who is going to study the error codes and give you several repair options from least expensive to most expensive. That's what I do for my friends. That's also what many people on Prius chat do as well... But we need details and there's a specific evaluation process of the hybrid system that has to be done and anyone who's a little bit curious can learn it. We'll help you step by step if you make that possible?

#6 PriusCamper, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  7. ogprius

ogprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    t
    thanks. good advice. I will get the diagnostic code materials

PriusCamper and SFO like this.
  8. ogprius

ogprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dealer said code was P0A80. They said that was the only code that showed up. I hooked up a V310 obd reader, but it said nothing. Going to try the toyota daignostic tool as well, but need to get the software loaded.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Continued driving with a failed hybrid battery could result in battery module explosion and fire There’s a poster here right now that reports that very scenario.
    We have seen may posts about that too.

So there’s that.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fire is a problem with Lithium... Not the case with NiMH... There's two decades and millions of Prius that have no issue with fire but if you want to scare people for no reason.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dr. Prius App via a bluetooth OBD2 reader is the easiest way to get at the subcodes for most of the basic problems related to P0A80, as well as a good way to get a sense of overall performance: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two