1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Filter Change

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jay94501, May 10, 2022.

1. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Having seen the results of several CVT WS fluid changes, I can attest to the validity of getting it changed out at 60K intervals. It gets very dark with metal gear wear particulates, and then having this metallic soup around and in MG1 and MG2 isn't very comforting. I think Toyota still says it doesn't need changing, but what could it hurt?

Doug McC likes this.
  2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Sorry, very late to this conservation. While you are correct that a CVT doesn't have clutch packs or torque converters, where most of the heat is generated in a conventional automatic transmission, the electric motors require cooling and friction parts require lubrication. I don't know if Toyota ATF WS is a full synthetic ATF; but I would change it at least every 100K miles. If only to get the gritty wear particles out of there to keep them from destroying the smooth machined surfaces within. It's cheap insurance when compared to a replacement CVT.
    BTW; if I recall correctly - the ATF cooling capacity has been increase with each successive generation.

Just my two cents...

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or using a transfer pump or any ordinary small funnel and a suitable length of hose. Hose diameter is not critical, as long as it's not too fat to insert into the fill hole of the transmission, and not too thin to slip over the funnel outlet.