1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission fluid change at 150k miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AubreyIII, Feb 21, 2017.

1. AubreyIII

AubreyIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Recently purchased a 2011 Prius Three not III with 144,000 miles. It's been serviced at least once every 10,000 miles at the dealer, but there is no record of the transmission fluid ever being changed. Looking for opinions on whether I should do it now or let it go. I've heard the conventional wisdom that you shouldn't change it unless it's been changed regularly (for regular AT transmissions at least). I'm curious if anyone has actually had a failure in a Prius caused by changing it at high miles.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i recall. but there probably isn't any hard data on whether it's good or bad at this point. i would probably do it.

AubreyIII likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would do it. It's an easy DIY, and dealerships are getting to be notorious for finding ways to:

1. Argue if you raise the subject.
    2. Overcharge.
    3. ROYALLY screw it up.

There's a recent post: they messed up someone's transaxle and inverter, drove them to trade-in.

I can post a PDF instruction in a bit, but yeah it is dead easy.

AubreyIII likes this.
  4. AubreyIII

AubreyIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I wouldn't take it to the dealer. They wanted about $100 each for transmission, ICE coolant, and inverter coolant drain and fill. While I can screw up any job (don't ask me about changing the clock in a '78 Celica), this doesn't look too bad at all, especially with the YouTube videos out there.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, to DIY change transaxle fluid, you should have on hand:

1. The means to raise and level the car, say 6", safely.
    2. (4) quarts or liters of Toyota ATF WS fluid. (don't gamble, stick with this). You'll need roughly 3.5 quarts/liters.
    3. Replacement washers for the fill and drain bolts. (they're identical)
    3. Ratchet wrench, extensions, and a 10mm hex allen key style socket. (male: the fill and drain bolts are socket-head cap screws). I'd recommend to have a long-handled ratchet, say 18": the torque on the fill/drain bolts is 29 ft/lb, and they will likely be very glued on by now. Just to be on the safe side: remove the fill bolt first.
    4. Appropriate torque wrench, for 29 ft/lb.
    5. Screw driver, pry tools and 10 mm socket, for removal of the engine underpanel. This is not mandatory, but make life easier. Wash out all the push-in fasteners when they're off, and coat the the small bolts with some rust-preventative. Note: two of the push-in fasteners are slightly larger than the rest, have grey-coloured heads. These are at the "oil change" flap. Good to mark them with a highlighter of some sort, and their location.
    6. Funnel with 3' tube extension, keep tube diameter 5/8" or less (to fit in the fill hole). Snake it down through the engine bay from the top. You should have an assistant to do the pouring. If not: you can pour freely up to 3 quarts, then just pour 100 cc at a time, while checking. Stop as soon as it starts to overflow. Note, you can use a pump from below, but my take: this is needlessly complicated. Also, make sure the hose and funnel are free of other oils, and/or use it exclusively for Prius transaxle.

You basically drain-and-fill. When filling the level is correct when it starts coming back out. There's instruction in the Repair Manual to recheck level after a drive. I did this the first time and found it pointless; there was no change.

I've attached the Repair Manual instruction:

ALS, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  6. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did recently mine 47k milage and very satisfied with the result.While you change out gold plug on it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    loosen the fill plug before the drain plug.

saltdiscus likes this.
  8. Brad wije

Brad wije New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How can we test if the mechanic did a good job with transmission fluid?

Danny3xd likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tough to do, you really need trust. Did they use Toyota ATF WS fluid? The trick to getting the level right is to refill with the car level, until it starts overflowing, then just wait a sec till it subsides.

Danny3xd likes this.
  10. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great question. Aside from level, id agree with ML.

Really, aside from being cheap, I like to do as much as possible DIY.

Not really an answer and looking forward to seeing more on it.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To test the level you could raise/level the car again, remove the fill bolt, and splish-splash with a pinky, make sure the levels up there. But really begs the question: if you can do this, why not DIY the whole thing?

Again, where you are:

upload_2018-3-20_11-22-13.png

Raytheeagle likes this.