1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Fluid Change Feed Tube Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Dec 20, 2021.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I plan to change out my inverter and engine coolant tomorrow... I've also decided to change the transmission oil. I've. But after watching some videos on youtube, I still have a few questions.

1: I purchased some 5/16" ID 7/16" OD clear vinyl tubing for the coolant changes. Any reason this will not be adequate to serve as the transmission fluid fill tube?

2: If the tubing is fine, should the tubing be shoved as far into fill hole as possible or just an inch or two? One of the videos I watched claimed that it should be inserted pretty far into the transmission housing otherwise it leaked right away.

3: Any other issues with using a vinyl tube - reacting with the transmission oil and/or heat inside transmission housing? I'll probably just wait until the car is cooler after draining.

#1 rogerthat, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  2. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    14 or 15 mm also fit, so yes.

Just fill it in. You wouldn't make your gearbox any happier by putting it in deeper and deeper .

I wouldn't work under a car so hot it could burn my skin. And if you can touch the gearbox and the old ATF, everything is cool enough not to melt anything.

If you haven't bought it yet: The part number for the aluminum gaskets (for both plugs) is 90430-18008, use new ones every time you loosen the plugs.
    By the way, you will need a 10 mm Allen key for one plug and a 24 mm wrench or nut for the other. The torque for tightening is 39 Nm.

Tip. Always loosen the oil filler plug first and then the oil drain plug. Background: If you have already drained the oil and then find that you cannot loosen the oil filler plug - you may have a problem!

FP4 ?

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Another tip:
    Do only ONE thing at a time.
    Engine coolant.
    Inverter coolant.
    Transmission.
    And drive it a day or two in between.

Because......IF you do all 3 at the same time and then there is something wrong afterwards, it makes it a LOT more difficult to determine which operation caused the problem.

4. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I come back here later on tonight feel free to say I told ya so. I realize that's the best way to proceed, I just don't have the time in the next week to mess with the car. I'll likely change the engine coolant (radiator drain/replace only) take it for a short drive with heater cranked. If no weird noises or warning lights, I'll then move onto the inverter coolant (after an hour or so to cool) and ATF change.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a little easier if you have an OBD scan tool.

A source of frustration with the car is that there is only one "red-thermometer" idiot light on the dash, which tells you something overheated, but not what.

If you have a scan tool you can pull up the individual readings and see what.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Agree with everything, except, not sure if it's clear, but I would score a ratchet socket style 10 mm male "Allen Key", use it on a ratchet wrench, preferably long-handled, for removal. And use a torque wrench if you can manage, for the reinstall.

There's been a few reports, people using an actual Allen Key, say with a "cheater pipe" extension, and having it round the socket.

And yeah to chime in for question #1: the od on the hose I've used is 14 mm, and it's got lots of elbow room. It only need go in an inch or two, think it hits something then anyways.

Fill till it starts coming back out, with the car level. Use only new Toyota ATF WS fluid from freshly opened bottles, recycle the left over.

Attached level check is all the 2nd gen Repair Manual has, guess cus it's "lifetime fluid". 3rd gen does smarten up, describes a change. I'll attach both, fwiw.

Attached Files:

7. MickyMatter

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're totally right. I just didn't knew the correct English words and was too lazy for using a translator But the L shaped IKEA type Allen key is rather a toy than a tool.
    A ratchet for loosening and a torque wrench for tightening should it be, yes .

FP4 ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The reports of allen key type wrenches rounding out the plug are most likely due to cheap, soft, undersized allen keys. A good one will not do that. I have used some serious cheater pipes on those wrenches on other equipment. In fact, one time, it took two of us on a four foot cheater bar to loosen some 7/8" allen bolts.

But, since you need a torque wrench to properly tighten the plugs, the allen key really serves no purpose unless the plug is too tight for a ratchet and you don't have a breaker bar. Just be sure to use quality wrenches in any case.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I struggle with what to call the "hex driver socket" too. Because it's a "male" gizmo, "socket" doesn't sound right.

Ah, looked it up; mostly it's described as "hex bit socket".

MickyMatter and jerrymildred like this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah no Harbor Freight tools.

Be prepared for how hard it is to get that side fill hole plug off it’s going to require a big breaker bar it’s really on there. I usually use a long piece of EMT
    pipe over the breaker bar. And take a second make sure your going the correct way to take it off.

I just Jack the front of the car up and add 4 quarts using a long plastic tube in the fill hole. Not necessary to make the car level.
    I always used Redline D6 it really liked that stuff.
    Did this 3 times over the years. Found out you really only need to change the trans once fluid looked very good on subsequent changes but that’s a superior synthetic fluid very little wear it may be different with WS.
    Car is 14+ years old still running perfectly.

And Not necessary to take the car for a ride to check just dumping the rad
    Coolant.
    It will not invoke an airlock. Just keep an eye on the coolant level the next day before starting the car. Did this rad dump multiple times on multiple cars no problem just make sure your using the rad fill cap not the overflow tank.

Just Jack the front up real high put Ramps under it let the car become cool and get at it.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're capable of having the car raised and level, I would do that.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not neccessary. trans takes 4 quarts. You have never owned one or worked on one.

nancytheprius likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't remember just where the fill plug is positioned on the Gen 2, but on a Gen 4, it's way at the back so filling it with the right amount with the back lower than the front will make a mess while you fumble with getting the plug threaded back in. :) Seems like the Gen 2 was more toward the middle IIRC.

14. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Transmission fluid change was relatively simple. Both the fill plug and the drain plug required quite a bit of force to remove, but eventually gave way. I made sure the car was level when filling. Inserted the fill tube in only about 2 to 3 inches, checking for leaks. I slowed down when I had already poured in 3.5 qts... at about 3.8 qts the fluid started coming out the fill hole at which point I removed the tube, cleaned up, and torqued the fill plug with new washer to 29ft/lbs.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well I've changed gen 3 transaxle fluid 3 times now (about 2 times too many), and getting the level "right" is as easy as falling off a log, if the car is level. You fill till it starts coming back out, and that is at the high end of the spec. This is gen 2 Repair Manual excerpt:

upload_2021-12-21_12-9-1.png

It's not HARD to raise and level the car; I do it every spring and fall with tire swaps, put the whole thing on safety stands.

Technical question: in the above pic, are the plugs on the face towards front or rear of car? I'm thinking front?

16. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are wasting your energy trying to talk to him.
    It would accomplish more talking that that famous Ed the talking horse.

17. MickyMatter

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, you're right, the filler plug is towards front side.

FP4 ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.