1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Fluid Change

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vsavatar, Apr 2, 2019.

1. vsavatar

vsavatar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2015 Prius v that I purchased new in mid-2015. My dealer recommended awhile ago at 50k miles that I "flush" the transmission on my Prius v, but there is no recommended maintenance interval in the manual for changing the fluid. My vehicle now has 66k miles on it, and I need new brakes, so if I'm going to do a lot of service, I might as well do it now. Furthermore, additional research and advice from people who rebuild transmissions for a living is that you should never flush a transmission, because it doesn't help anything, and it wastes a perfectly good opportunity to inspect the casing and magnet, replace the filter (if applicable), and clean the screens (if applicable). Some people even seem to think it can exacerbate existing problems.

Now I don't know if the Prius v has screens or a replaceable filter, but my understanding is that it's better to just drain and fill the pan but not flush out the torque converter. So, my questions are, is it even necessary to change the fluid on a Prius v transmission, even though it's not recommended in the manual? Also, if I should change the fluid, is a drain and fill the better of the two options? Wouldn't the old fluid contaminate the new fluid? How will that affect the new fluid? Finally, is Toyota WS ATF acceptable in the eyes of the people here for doing it? Is there a better brand that I should use that will actually make any kind of difference? Finally, what is the quantity of said transmission fluid, depending on whether I flush or do a drain and fill?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Drain and fill at 100k, then every 50k interval. There is no screen/filter/torque converter, relatively easy diy as shown in the following video.

OEM is best unless you feel the need to use non-OEM atf.

The Prius doesn't have a traditional transmission, so a "flush" is a attempt to extract additional $ from owners. You can only drain and fill. It's as simple as that.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Prius transaxle is a far cry from a traditional automatic transmission, more akin to a manual transmission. A simple drain and fill will replace about 90% of the fluid. Stick with Toyota ATF WS, and do it asap.

mikeflores2000 likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup! No screen. No filter. No torque converter. No flushing.

The Toyota ATF WS is the standard. Some people will try to find substitutes, and there are other brands that work, but it's just not worth all the research or the risk imho to use other stuff in there.

There is debate as to if and when to change the fluid. One school of thought it to change it quite early to remove whatever manufacturing lubricants and what-not that could be lurking in there along with metal fines that come from gears breaking in. Others say to wait till 60k, 100k, and various other distances. But it is popularly accepted that changing it is a good thing even though very few Prius transaxles ever fail.

mikeflores2000 likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd recommend a first change around the one year mark or 10K miles, another around 60K miles, then maybe that's it for the duration.

The Owner's Manual is pretty admanant: that using anything other than Genuine Toyota ATF WS may damage the transaxle.

6. Kyung Yu

Kyung Yu New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you so much! I was told the very same thing about needing a flush by the dealership when I took it in for routine check up and I've read a lot of conflicting information online about the "flush." The dealership quoted me $300 and when I called various repair shops, they quoted me around $200 for a flush. Quick (maybe dumb) question, do Priuses require transmission fluid or oil change before the 100k mark?

P.S. I'm grateful for forums like this b/c these dealerships and repair shops are just eager to rip you off. Example, the "airbag off" light went on when my mom took the passenger seat recently, and when I called the dealership they told me it would cost $300 for them to "poke around and figure out the problem." Just before taking it in, I did a google search and it turns out that if the passenger weighs very little, the airbag off light will go on. So I tested it by having someone heavier sit in the passenger seat, and presto! The airbag was reactivated. So thank goodness for the internet and thank goodness for forums like these!

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    (^ From the post above yours. This is purely from the colour of the drained fluid I've seen. I've done 3, the first VERY early, around one year and 10K miles, and it was by far the darkest.)

I use the air bag off light as justification to send (lightweight) grandkids who want to ride "shotgun" to the back seat.

8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes!!! I'm in the wrong line of business. I could be rich!! :LOL:

There is no flush needed or possible for the Prius transaxle.

I just bought four quarts of Toyota ATF-WS and two crush washers yesterday from the dealer for $49. I plan to change mine next weekend, weather permitting. The change isn't in the service schedule, but I think it's a good idea to change it at least one time once the car is well broken in. At 34k miles, I'd say mine is ready.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One reason would be, if something like motor oil was accidentally poured in. Honda has a technique outlined in the Shop Manuals, and it's dead simple, and this is for conventional automatic transmissions, where you're only changing maybe 50~60 percent:

Drain and fill. Drive about a km. Repeat twice more.

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that's a special situation. But I wouldn't call it a flush. More like multiple rinses. A flush implies to me a continuous flow with some pressure behind it.

I guess, with the right fittings, you actually could do a sort of a flush, but I don't know how effective it would be since the drain and fill openings are so close to each other.

Air_Boss and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As with many (but not all) things ‘dealer’, that’s a pure wallet flush.

smoochpaws likes this.