1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission fluid change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fgoodyear, Jul 16, 2008.

1. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I just got mine done by the dealer today when I had it in for the 48 Mm oil etc. I had them do it because it is too damned cold to do it my parking spot. They tried to talk me out of it.

On a completely different topic:
    Tonight I was out and about and when I returned to my car the driver's side rear window was smashed. Didn't look like anyone had tried to enter the car and my knapsack was still sitting there although covered in glass bits. It's sitting out in my parking spot now with plastic taped over the window... I guess I'll be phoning around looking for a quick and cheap replacement tomorrow. I don't know that I could prove it was a faulty piece or a crime or anything since I wasn't there when it happened.. so no warranty or insurance. Weird. I have had a window break sort of on their own when cranking them on very old and creaky cars, and I've had a couple broken into over the years, but this is odd.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I've used Steve at Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV for salvaged Prius parts at reasonable prices.

JeffD

3. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, fast was too important for me (it's cold here and I park in the open so I like there to be glass there asap). The window is getting replaced tomorrow for $195 Canadian at a shop a couple blocks from my apt building.

4. JerryCS

JerryCS Prius camper with trailer hitch

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I appreciate the folks who are standing up for alternative ATF's for the Prius, but I want to add that Amsoil's product lookup says this for the Prius:
    "Automatic Transmission, P112......WS
    No AMSOIL Product Recommendation"
    In other words, WS is specified, and they don't make anything that they recommend using in the Prius. I appreciate their honesty. And I use their other lubricants when they are specified.

5. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I changed the trans and engine oil same time, ws was $7.99 at toyota no washers,
    You only need 2 ft. 1/2 in. clear tube, buy it buy the foot at lowes $.32 a ft.Took about an hour for both. 100,000 miles. Toyota says thats when to change the trans.

6. minispeed

minispeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did my trans fluid change and a few times since when I start the car and put it in drive the red triangle is on and the mfd says to put it in park not neutral so that the batteries charge. As soon as I move it works fine. I went for a drive to warm it up, get the vacuum back but at the end of the drive when i stopped it did the same, anyone else experience this?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to replace the 12V battery.

Whether or not there is vacuum in the transaxle case is irrelevant to its operation, you don't need to worry about "getting it back".

8. Red09

Red09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I got the same warning two different times. It was after I had been driving 10km and I get to where I pick up my kids, I start slowing down to stop and get them then one will stand out in front so I stop fast. That is when I got the same message but it only blinks on then off almost too fast to read. I was still in drive and every thing was on and the car pulled away just fine after they all got in.

Nothing to do with a transmission oil change. And I have a new optima battery that I keep a close eye on.

9. minispeed

minispeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I pulled the battery out and did a refill on it. It's holding a much better charge now, 14.1-14.2 v when in ready (previously only ever 14.1) when I turn it off after it's running it's in the 13 range, turn on some lights it goes to 12.1-2. After sitting a night it's in the 12.7 area.

Previously it was the 11.7 area after a night sitting and after a charge and turning the car off it would be about 12.1 and drop down to 11.7 under load.

So far it hasn't happened, keeping my fingers crossed that that was it. Since I was using it to run the radio while doing the trans work it's a very likely culprit.

10. Griz

Griz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They are rippin you off. Lifetime Oil is exactly what it means, lifetime. There is a reason there is no dip stick, except for maybe your service writer. DON'T DO IT!!!

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have done lab testing of used ATF in my 2004 Prius every 60k miles (see attached report). These tests clearly indicate that the ATF is generally worn out at 60k miles (a change in viscosity) and, especially in the initial break in period, exhibits a build up of metallic content (Iron and Aluminum). The silica content in the early testing appears to be silica leaching out from the sealants used in assembly.

In my opinion, Toyota is not concerned about our trannies lasting forever as long as it lasts "The Life of the Car" which is defined by them to be shorter than I want to be able to continue driving this great vehicle (It is now approaching 220k miles of reliable driving). Besides, I will have to pay for the repair if my tranny fails, not Toyota.

I just updated the attached file to include the 240k mile test results.

JeffD

Attached Files:

Naurill, JMD and dogfriend like this.
  12. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your car is charging the battery above 14.0 volts in READY, your battery is low. A fully charged battery in good condition should read 13.8 volts when READY.

If the voltage does not drop to 13.8 within 10-15 minutes after making the car READY, you probably should start shopping for a new battery. You might want to charge the battery fully (using a batter charger or leaving the car READY for 8-12 hours) and see what happpens.

With a new battery, my Prius shows 13.9-14.0 at startup and goes to 13.8 volts within 5 minutes. I have the Optima battery (the new one with the correct posts), but I think you would see the same results with a new OEM battery.

13. Walter catton

Walter catton New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the posting of the information, I had taken my 2006 prius in for recall and asked them BTW when do I change Trans fluid. They and another dealer said it is lifetime, My prius has 135K and changed it myself, Tell you what I was REALLY worried about dropping the plug to see what would be on the magnet, Suprisingly very little! Oil was pink, No nasty oder to it. We use the car to commute in so steady mile no rabbit starting,

Took me longer to find the tools then to do the oil change.

14. mark_75

mark_75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so you are saying that at 135k before fluid change no problems
    and those who think it has to be done at 30k intervals must be paranoid

15. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's hard to believe that the ATF was pink @135K miles, if that was the original factory fill. No one has ever said that before. Mine was fairly black @ 35K miles, with the standard ball of steel fuzz on the plug, which is the usual report as far as Prius Chat postings are concerned. Changing the ATF is not just paranoia, given the level of expertise that weighs in around here. 30K intervals is too soon, but 60K intervals is recommended, as in post #91 above.

JMD likes this.
  16. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound if cure

17. Charles Peterson

Charles Peterson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today a second Toyota dealer refused to change my transaxle fluid. Can anyone recommend dealers in the San Antonio area that will do this? I'd even go to Austin.

Currently at 105,000 miles, my Prius has seen midday temperatures up to 111 degrees. It has already had one HV battery failure (fixed no charge to me) which I suspect was heat related. If Toyota WS never needs changing, as Toyota apparently claims, that should mean the transaxle has a lifetime warranty against problems that could have been caused by transaxle fluid. Can I get that in writing?

Are there people who have had failed transaxles that Toyota has not fixed for free? If so, I think there should be class action lawsuit against Toyota.

18. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any mechanic can drain and fill the Prius ATF. Instructions on PC. Very easy to DIY. Get 4 qt. of WS-ATF at Toyota. Takes all of 20 min if you have funnel, tube, and ramps or lift.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It may not be true, but...:

With Toyota officialdom saying a transaxle fluid change is never needed, they have plenty of motivation to discourage dealerships from doing transaxle changes. If the dealers are willingly/cheerfully do changes, or even recommending changes, it reflects badly on Toyota's official line.

OTOH, if they treat you like a imbecile for making such a request, and only do the change because you demand it, steadfastly ignoring their advice, well then maybe that's ok. ;)

20. Charles Peterson

Charles Peterson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where is this official statement from Toyota officialdum saying that transaxle fluid change is never needed? I'd like to add that to my file.

I wonder if I don't get my transaxle fluid changed, ever, will that give me a better chance of getting Toyota to replace the transaxle if it ever goes bad? And how likely would it be in that case? I'd like to see stories about people who had transaxle failure, if there are any.

The claim made today by the service manager was that the transaxle is full of sensors, and that changing the fluid could damage them. It sounded bogus to me, but I decided not to argue, since argument would likely be pointless, they had already made up their mind.

Are the instructions seen here for changing the fluid actually "from Toyota" service manual or something or did someone else make them up? Is it likely that NOT changing the fluid would be safer than changing it, assuming done following instructions here?

I would have felt fine, very fine, if they had argued against the change but done it anyway. As it is, they made me feel like imbecile and left that matter unresolved in my mind. I have no more love for Toyota or any of their dealers I've encountered.

I wonder also how much risk I'd take on by having non-dealer do the service.