1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission fluid lab analysis report - how bad does this look?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by wcf, Jul 24, 2020.

1. wcf

wcf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there any long-timers here who can help with guidance/advice on the lab analysis report?

2002 Prius, just had transmission fluid replaced for the very first time at 151,413 miles a couple of weeks ago, after reading posts here by 3prongpaul and Bob Wilson. The service technician was a little reluctant to drop the pan and clean the screen, but did do so. It turned out that it "looked pretty bad and it was a good thing we did drop the pan" (his words). I sent a sample to R&G Labs, and just received the results today. Is this as alarming as it looks to me, and what does it all mean?

Oil Analysis Severity Summary
    Severity: S = Severe

Oil Analysis Severity Report
    Recommended Action
    :
    Please provide ISO lube grade for the lubricant used in this unit. Consider changing the lubricant in this unit. Consider inspecting this unit for abnormal wear modes. Check for sources of abrasives entry.
    Data Interpretation:
    Several values have been flagged for observation. Abrasive contamination is suspected based on the silicon content.

Oil Analysis Data Sheet Report
    WEAR ELEMENTS

Iron Fe 692
    Chromium Cr 11
    Molybdenum Mo 0
    Aluminum Al 61
    Copper Cu 550
    Lead Pb 42
    Tin Sn 23
    Silver Ag 0
    Nickel Ni 50
    Vanadium V 0
    Titanium Ti 2
    Manganese Mn 7
    Cadmium Cd 0

CONTAMINANT ELEMENTS
    Silicon Si 375
    Sodium Na 6
    Boron B 48

ADDITIVE ELEMENTS
    Magnesium Mg 6
    Calcium Ca 356
    Barium Ba 10
    Phosphorus P 241
    Zinc Zn 47

NON-METALLIC CONTENT
    Water % vol Nil
    Solids % vol <0.1

LUBE DATA
    Viscosity @ 40'C cSt 26.4
    Viscosity @ 100'C cSt 5.1

ADDITIONAL TESTS
    Viscosity Index 123

I had sent along used paper towels with the sample, but the very helpful sales person at the lab said it didn't look like anything solid had been picked up, and she wasn't sure we'd get anything meaningful and that it may not be worth the $70 for the test. The lab's going to be holding to the paper towels for another week in case I do want to have it tested.

While following up with the service technician, I raised the question of doing a second change and drop the pan again in a few months to see if we can flush out any remaining bad stuff, and he agreed it may be a good idea. Does anyone have any recommendation on what would be a good interval to do so after this first change, time- or mileage-wise?

Attached Files:

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    FWIW
    I wouldn't be to concerned if the transmission is functioning correctly.
    150K mileage is a long time for oil life.

Going back a few decades to GM performance automatic transmissions (not similar to Toyota) heavy duty change interval was 20K mileage. Standard use 40K.

With that said, it could certainly be good maintenance to drain and screen clean again in 10K mileage in an effort to clean the trans from this initial service concern.

But many Prius's don't ever change the trans fluid, and I assume the service interval is near 100K mileage, and have 200K even 300K mileage on them.

After your initial re-clean just done, I would re-clean the screen and drain again in 10K miles.
    And use OEM Toyota oil, not aftermarket.
    Would I again drain & clean in another 50K? Maybe not.
    But, in your case it may be a good thing (mechanically and mentally) to do so or just wait for another 100K.

If the trans is going to fail IMO an oil change won't truly slow the failure. The high copper could be syncros and the iron gears. I'd be more concerned with any "rubber" bands or seals and in that case clean oil may help extend life.

Again FWIW, good luck.

3. wcf

wcf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Kenny94945. I searched further on PriusChat this weekend, and found a thread where Bob Wilson had started, and he listed several long-lived Gen 1s, which was kind of reassuring. But he also noted some transaxle failures. Much of the discussion was technical and quite over my head, but it sounded to me like he may have been suggesting a second change at 1,000 miles if the test comes back with high Si/Al amounts (not sure what 'high' is, but I guess a red number for Si may qualify). Think I'll send him a message to see if I understood that suggestion correctly. If he doesn't reply, I may just flip a coin between a 1K or 10K replacement interval, and ask that the screen be cleaned again.

BTW we did use OEM Toyota oil. That discussion thread seemed to conclude that Type T-IV used for the Gen 1s should ideally be changed at 15-30k miles.

Here's the thread I found DRAFT Transaxle Oil Testing Results | PriusChat

4. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My $.02 - worrying about how bad it looks is water under the bridge. I.e. it's too late now to go back and have it done more often. It's been changed, so now just drive the thing.

arjay007 and WHCSC like this.
  5. wcf

wcf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True. I've had the weekend to calm down and do more reading :) But, seeing that I'd like to keep the car for many more years, I'm willing to try anything I can do prospectively to achieve that.

6. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Josey makes a good point....the damage is done.

I can agree with you to change the oil and drain the screen again in 1000 miles.
    This second immediate change will really make your first drain and clean extremely clean and wothwhile.

You did not mention cost, yet I would expect each drain, clean and fill to be near $200? (One hour labor + $75 parts?)
    If you do the next change in 1000 miles, I would then just drive it for 100K miles before another transmission service.

Best of luck wished to you.

7. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, that.

8. wcf

wcf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius