1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Fluid, Sparkplugs and more

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by johnnycents, Feb 25, 2021.

1. johnnycents

johnnycents New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all - inherited a 2015 Prius from a relative before the new year.

As far as I can tell this car has never had the sparkplugs replaced or the transmission fluid replaced, both of which were suggested when I got some service done at the dealership. It's at about 180,000 KM, virtually all of it highway miles. I'm fairly new to the car - anything I should be on the lookout for or anything urgent that should be taken care of first? Any issues doing a first Transmission fluid change this late in the game?

#1 johnnycents, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the us, we can go to 'toyota.com/owners' and plug in the vin to get any dealer service history.

not sure if you can do that in ca.

short of any knowledge, i would follow the maintenance interval guide for your car.

although it may not be in the ca guide (it isn't in the us) it is always good to change the ecvt fluid at any mileage. it isn't like a regular auto trans, and it can only help, not harm.

get a load test done on your 12 volt if you can, unless you know that it has been replaced. the date code is on the top, but you have to unclamp the terminal with the box on it to see it.

cabin and engine air filters should be inspected/cleaned/replaced and pump up your tyres pressure.
    check the spare at the same time.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Full brake inspection, if there's no evidence it's been done.

Intake manifold cleaning (pay special attention to the EGR passages at each intake port). Cleaning of the full EGR system. More info:

Bad Flywheel | PriusChat

No. I would get on it ASAP. It's a relatively easy DIY, just raise AND level the car: when refilling proper level is achieved by filling till it starts spilling back out. You'll need 4 liters of Toyota ATF WS fluid, and should get replacement washers for the drain/fill bolts (they're identical). Torque for both is 29 ft/lb's.

The bolts are socket-head cap-screw style, require 10 mm male hex driver. Get one on a "socket", so you can use on a torque wrench. A long handled ratchet wrench or breaker bar is handy for breaking loose the bolts; they tend to get a little stuck. Start with the fill bolt, just in case you have difficulty.

The fluid retails through dealership for around $9 CDN local to me, fwiw. Dealership service departments should not charge over $100, even $80 would allow them a reasonable profit.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure you loosen the FILLER bolt FIRST!
    Because if you can't get that loose AFTER the drain plug, you'll have no way of filing it
    back up. Easy was, or inexpensive way that is. (y)

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you can always level the car upside down so the drain hole becomes the fill hole.

Mendel Leisk and ASRDogman like this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's thinking out of the box!

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius