1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission flush and fill

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Devil's Advocate, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just got a flush and fill of the trans fluid at Centenial Toyota in North Las Vegas. Seems like a good price.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    where DH worked, they charge it as a drain and fill, can't flush the prius trans, $45 plus fluid.

$122 is a good price for an auto trans flush, yes. might wanna go back and confirm with them what they did for the extra bucks...

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The purpose of a tranny flush is to exchange ATF that wouldn't come out with a simple drain. This is important in transmissions with a torque converter - our Prii do not have one. My dealer charged $85 for a drain and refill in my 2004 Prius - after a long discussion with them about not suggesting a flush in a Prius (at $145).

JeffD

ps. A flush is possible, but a procedure is not documented. Our group of (very) anal Prii owners have some concern about "gunk" collecting in hidden passages in Classic Prii and have done some investigating of how to actually do a flush.

I believe (from a sample base - about 12 samples mostly from Classics - of used ATF) that periodic drains (15,000 miles in Classics, 60,000 miles in 2004+) and refills are a reasonable procedure and good insurance against tranny failures for all Prii owners.

JeffD