1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Front differential oil spark plugs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Taxi/Limo, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello All
    The maintenance guide for the 2010 Prius says to check transmission oil and front differential oil at 90,000 miles it doesn't say anything about changing these oils. Seems like a good idea to change those oils once in a while.

When do you change them?

The guide also says change the plugs at 120,000 .. When do you change plugs and what do you use?
    Thanks

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I change the ATF WS, in the transaxle (it is both transmission and differential) at 30, 000 miles, 90,000 miles and then every 90,000 miles myself. Always open the fill hole before the drain hole and change the washers. It should take about 3.5 quarts, buy 4 quarts of ATF WS and two washers.

I follow the Toyota service manual on spark plugs, 120.000 miles and spark plug make DENSO SC20HR11, Gap 0.043 in.
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-10Prius/pdf/2010_Prius_WMG_0W20_lr.pdf

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tranny oil changes are all over the place here, because toyota gives no recommendation. you'll have to decide for yourself after reading others ideas and experiences.
    spark plugs at 120k seems to be right. most find the old ones still in good shape. some have said they are difficult to remove if you wait that long, so it might be a good idea to remove them at 60k and use some anti seize.

Glee217 and Rebound like this.
  4. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look at my trans oil at 46k miles.Now after the trans oil change my car is really smooth. 1485139718394.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, both "tranmission" and "front differential" equal: "transaxle", there's one thing. The fluid to use is Toyota ATF WS, you'll need to buy four quarts (or liters, up here), and they're a bit under $10 per. Both the fill and drain bolts are socket-head cap screws, with 10mm hex recess. Torque for both is 29 ft/lb, and replacement washer is good practice. Refill with the car level, and when it starts coming back out (somewhere around 3.5 quarts) you're done. A funnel with three foot hose extension is the simplest way to get the new fluid, working with an assistant.

A first change quite early will be most beneficial, say at the one year mark. Then you can extend the interval: maybe a second drain-and-fill after another 3 years?

6. tweedle99

tweedle99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed. Just did mine over the wknd. Much smoother driving.