1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Issue Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Josh Fields, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Josh Fields

Josh Fields New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to the shortest I can make this long story. I italicized the less important parts.

(First, this forum has been tons of help over the years; but I've always found my answers just by searching, and never had to post. Here's hoping posting draws just as many of you good people out of the woodwork!)

Okay, in 2017, I replaced my rear struts and wheel bearings. The car had about 170k miles, so you can imagine how rusty and awful doing those wheel bearings was! I took a 12k mi road trip over 6 weeks and all was well.

In 2018, I replaced the CV axles, and some transmission fluid came leaking out when I removed them. I put the new ones in, and did a bit of googling, and decided to drive it to see how it did. It only lost maybe a cup or two of fluid.

I was heading on another road trip, drove about 400 miles, and was noticing (perhaps in my imagination) some extra shuddering and small changes in how the car was driving. I called about six different Toyota dealerships, and all swore that these were lifetime fluid, and they never drained and replaced the fluid. They didn't seem to understand that I lost fluid when I replaced the CV axles...

I put the car on jack stands (just in the front; I had 2) in the most level spot I could find, and added some fluid until it spilled over the fill hole. I added what said it was an acceptable alternative for Toyota WS, since nobody had Toyota WS. I added a full quart, but a fair bit spilled out the fill hole when I put the car back down to be level.

The car behaved most of the rest of the 5-6k mile trip, but coming home, I started noticing a minor clicking noise.

The click was/is a single metallic click that you can hear and sort of feel when accelerating from a stop or near-stop. It's most pronounced when the engine kicks in just as I accelerate, but is noticeable regardless.

Over the following year, the click came and went. Sometimes it would go a week without clicking, but usually it was just a day or two. When it's clicking, it clicks on pretty much every acceleration from a stop/near-stop.

Fast-foward to now. I'm on another road trip, driving up and down mountains in Colorado. The car has started making additional very slight clicking noises at times during acceleration, in addition to the old "big click." So as I accelerate from 0-10mph, I hear CLICK click click click, but not always in that order.

My questions for those that know more than I:
    • Is my transmission getting ready to die? The car now has 213k, and doesn't really owe me much, given the $600 I've put into it other than oil/gas. But I'm certainly not going to sink $4k+ into a car that old, and I can't imagine this is a repair I can do myself like the others. So really I just want a little advance notice if it's going to die on me!
    • I can add more fluid, if that will help. It's hard (maybe impossible) to find level ground, so I'll be totally guessing at the actual levels of fluid.
    • I found this (photo attached) "LubeGard CVT Recharge and Protect Supplement for all CVT Transmissions" at the auto parts store. It says it protects belts and pulleys.... but this has planetary gears, not belts and pulleys. It also says at the bottom it provides superior metal-to-metal protection. Would it help any to put this in?
    What are your thoughts? Should I top off the fluid and add the LubeGard Recharge and Protect? Just wait and hope for the best?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

you must find level ground and make sure the fluid is full. level ground is pointless if you only use front jack stands, the car must be level.

do not use lube guard, prius ecvt is not like a standard cvt, and you need to drain the fluid mix you have, not sure how well two different fluids work together

#2 bisco, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you already jacked the car up, leveled it, and added. Why did you not drain the fluid and add new fluid? To save a few bucks?

I don't really know if running the fluid slightly low is worse or mixing 2 different fluids on a car with over 200k miles is worse? At this point the sound could be anything, it might not even be a transaxle related sound. Since you have the ability to jack up and possibly level the car, I would drain all the fluid and fill with 4 new quarts of WS fluid. This fluid is sold at all dealerships and online in many retailers.

Worse case scenario, the car dies. You sell it and get $500 and move onto another car. The car owes you nothing......I wouldn't spend money on it if it failed.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^What @JC91006 said.^

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What brand and type of transmission fluid did you use?
    What brand of CV axels did you use? Cheap CV axle replacements are notorious for not lasting long. Could be a CV joint making that noise.