1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Jerking Badly in ECO Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dc101, May 10, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

You’ve got head gasket failure, cylinder one, caused by long neglected EGR, the 3rd gen “problem child”. A leak down test would verify, but ALL the signs are there.

(Apologies for the tone, but my mom was Dutch, and I had a lot of Dutch uncles. ;))

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why do you think the engine always starts with cylinder #1?
    It will depend on where it is in the firing order. Whichever cylinder is coming up for the compression
    stroke is the one that fires.

3. dc101

dc101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry if I miss communicated. What I am trying to say is that whenever Cylinder 1 happens to be the one in a position where it is ready for power stroke, it obviously fires erratically, causing misfiring. When other cylinders are near power stroke, once engine starts up, the Cylinder 1 misfiring is masked. Sometimes I get clean drive cycle (from emissions standpoint) with no drivability issues.

Does anyone know impact of disabling one cylinder - I know the engine will be unbalanced and strain crankshaft if I disable cylinder one (remove plug and fuel injector electrical connector). Trying this would require removal of wiper motor etc., so I thought I would ask before trying.

#83 dc101, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    ASRDogman likes this.
  4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It will sound like this: (That's my '08 with a bad coil on cylinder #1.)

5. dc101

dc101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks - but this video I assume has the sparkplug and fuel injection connector still in place. My plan is to remove the plug and and also the fuel injection connector for cylinder 1. So during compression stroke there is no load on the engine (the piston will be pushing out air and sucking back air - obviously with dirt/grit going in cylinder 1). Cutting of fuel to cylinder 1 can help protect raw gas going to the catalytic converter. Not sure what will happen with lubrication oil in the cold cylinder.

6. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you're planning on keeping the car just bite the bullet and fix it. A kludge type fix is going to get you into more trouble.

The longer you overthink things the more expensive it's going to be.