1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

transmission oil (ATF) change interval

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ramdulari, Dec 21, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi All,
    It's overdue for me to take the car for the engine oil change service. It's now at > 40000 miles. I was going through the maintenance manual and all my prior records to figure out what is supposed to have been done by 40000 miles and what I have actually had done (I usually go to the dealer and tell them what I need, which per my records has been only engine oil and filter changes, and tire rotations so far. The dealer has also recorded that they checked fluid levels, although afaict they haven't topped/replaced any other fluids thus far).
    So...I was expecting to see mention of ATF change to be required by my current mileage, and therefore was surprised to see the maintenance manual from Toyota does not state explicitly to replace the ATF ever! Only "Inspect and adjust all fluid levels" (which my dealer's service dept has been recording) and "Check ATF". Question is, is there indeed no stipulated interval by which to replace the ATF in the 3rd gen/2010 Prii/Priuses?
    Also noticed that the inverter/coolant fluid needs to be replaced at 100,000 miles, which is cool. I was expecting to do that every 60,000 miles...

Thanks in advance for all replies!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ATF - the general conscensus on here is that the ATF needs to be changed in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles and then each 60,000 miles thereafter. Used oil analysis indicates a low viscosity at this mileage. Also, when changing the oil is very dark. Some dealers have balked at this since it is not in the Toyota maintenance schedule. You may have to insist to have it changed or either change it yourself.

Coolant - the general conscensus again is to change the engine coolant and the inverter coolant every 50,000 miles. When changing the engine coolant you need to be careful to bleed the air out of the system.

ElectricCarFan and ramdulari like this.
  3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Coolant lasts for 100K miles, no problem.

1 person likes this.
  5. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think that if you did a little research on what a Prius actually is, you would quickly realize WHY there was no mention of an ATF change required for your car. ..... The Prius doesn't have a transmission .....

No clutch, no torque converter, no gearshift, and, yes, NO TRANSMISSION. What might be considered a transmission is a SINGLE PLANETARY gear set between the gas motor and the two electric motors.

In case you haven't noticed, your 'gearshift' in the car is nothing more than a joystick ... like on your computer.

Incidentally, the service interval on the 2010 Prius is now 10,000 miles ... per the notification I got from Toyota last year. Your 40,000 mile service ... using Mobil 1 and at the dealer should only cost maybe $60. That's what I pay.

6. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $60 in Texas is $120 in L.A., guess not everything is bigger in Texas!

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have been doing mine every 15,000 miles so far.

9. Launch Vehicle

Launch Vehicle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Soooo - if it isn't ATF fluid being changed here - what is this stuff?

10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is ATF, specifically Toyota ATF WS, though Redline D6 is sometimes mentioned as an alternative. Goes in red, comes out black, unless it is changed every so often.

11. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm at the dealership...says it'll cost $190!! Also, he said its a drain and refill, no flush - which means some of the old oil stays behind. He mentioned that's due to the nature of the transmission, it can't be flushed out.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's not a problem, I measured mine the first time I changed it and only about a tenth of a quart remained in the transaxle. No need to flush, it's not much different than changing the oil in a manual transmission or a differential.

1 person likes this.
  13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My dealer charges me $100 for the ATF Drain and Refill.

JeffD

14. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I misquoted...
    I think he quoted me $170. Still a lot!

15. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wish I lived in CT, then I would have asked you about your dealer's information.

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ask for a breakdown of parts and labor. The labor guide quotes 0.6 hours. If they have a 1 hour minimum for services beyond oil and tires, then I guess that would explain it.

torr310 and ramdulari like this.
  17. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    He did mention that the WS oil that Toyota uses is expensive. I didn't see the parts and labor breakdown yet. Thanks!

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dealer here charged me $7.20 a quart for Toyota ATF-WS with the discount I get because I bought the car from them, normal full retail is $8.00 a quart. It will take 3 1/2 quarts so they should give you 1/2 a quart back but you will probably have to ask for it.

1 person likes this.
  19. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmm...so only $8x4 = $32 is the material cost?! The rest is labor/recycling/etc fees? I need to check with the service manager if that's the case. hmm...
    thanks!

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It should cost a bit more than an engine oil and filter change. The fluid cost is slightly higher than (say) Toyota 0W20 engine oil, But there's no filter change, so basically next to no difference in parts. There's a couple of washers to replace, vs one with an oil change. They're sort-of entitled to charge a slight premium, just because it's an unusual service, but that's about it.

It should not be costing $190. With their knowhow, and having a proper 4-corner hydraulic lift, it is very straightforward for the dealership. Check out another dealer?