1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Phase codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by John McG., May 10, 2018.

1. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the Prius is in P-Lock, the battery is fully charged(new) but still getting actuator codes.

C2300, C2304, C2305, C2306

B+ is at 12.65V

But the U,V,W Phase voltages are at .31V. Are these supposed to be at 9-12V? Smart ignition is in IG mode.

Any thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    has tech stream arrived yet?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    YES! Don't start new threads for another question on the same issue/car unless it's a completely different issue or subject! This is much more efficient and keeps redundant questions to a minimum.

4. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I've run the reports. This whats happening now.

5. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here is the detailed report.

Attached Files:

#5 John McG., May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  6. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Doug, I started a new thread since the codes, symptoms, and topic are different. Now it s a P-lock issue with a new battery.

7. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a way to get around the P-lock? Can you simply remove the HEV fuse? Will the car run ok? I saw one guy jumper his connector from the HEV 7.5AMP fuse to the blue wire on the primary fuse block connector. I'm at wits end and need to find a knowledgeable tech.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check the condition of the P CON MTR fuse.
    2. Check the P CON relay condition. Remove the relay and use an ohmmeter to find the relay coil terminals (should be ~100 ohms or so.) Apply 12VDC across those terminals. Measure the resistance across the switched terminals, which should be less than 0.5 ohms (after accounting for the resistance across the multimeter leads) and should be infinite when the power is removed from the relay coil terminals.
    3. Disconnect the 12V battery for a minute or so, to erase the DTC, and try to make the Prius READY again.
    4. If you still have a problem, you may have a fault in the wiring harness, the transmission control ECU, or the shift control actuator assembly. If you are serious about DIY, get the factory repair manual info at techinfo.toyota.com so that you have access to the troubleshooting tree and can see what ECU pins need to be accessed to test the wiring harness continuity, etc.
    5. Do not try half-a-- measures like bypassing the existing circuitry, until you understand how the circuit works - unless you don't mind blowing up some component.

m.wynn and SFO like this.
  9. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SFO, This is really useful information. The sub code is 581. I'm assuming the HVC-ECU is behind the glove box and the Trans-ECU is located under the glove box behind the plastic cover. Do you have to dissemble the dash to get to the harness?

Thanks for this though.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There have been reports of the resolver plug on the front side of the trans failing due to corrosion. Don't know where you live so don't know your driving conditions.

11. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This Prius has an interesting history. It was purchased in Vero Beach, FL and lived there for 4 years. It was inherited by my wife and lived just north of Boston until now. So basically it seen just about everything temperature wise. IT only has 82K on it and is great condition less this finicky electrical "Prius Flu". Seems it cant decide which symptom it doesn't like.

I started tracing the harness out according to the procedure outlined in the P3102/xxx Trans-ECU Malfunction doc. It seems disconnecting the harness plugs at the trans ECU and HV ECU reset the errors causing the P-Lock. The car ran ok for a while and once it warmed up I got a whole new set of codes, including the infamous P0A80. Block 10 is out of range reading 1.5V below the max reading. The rest of the blocks are within tolerance running from 16.76 down to 16.71, then block 10 at 15.27V. I have other readings that show the blocks well within the 1.5V tolerance but my guess under load and at op temp its showing its age. I do find it amazing its having so many trouble code issues with this condition.

The last drive I took it did not run all that well. Here is the code list:
    P3000/123
    P0A80
    P3020 Battery Block 10 is weak.
    C1259
    C1310

12. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the decision to move ahead is to replace the HV battery. Im not sure its the only thing going on here, but it seems certain it is one issue. The battery is 10 years old, it does not load test well, it has one block (block 10) that falls 1.5V or greater out of sync, but not at all charge levels.

I have decided to order a refurbished battery pack with a 24 month warranty from Hometown Hybrids in Houston, TX. $995 including shipping both ways.

I'll let you all know how this one goes.

Raytheeagle, m.wynn and SFO like this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the cars chassis is in good condition so it will not have that resolver plug issue I mentioned.

You can't go wrong with replacing the hybrid battery on a good condition Prius but keep in mind are you ready to replace the trans too if that's the issue also?

I would pull the trans fluid and put the recovered fluid in a wide container and put it in the sun and see if it has alot of non ferrous metal in it and check the magnet. You can easily see contamination in the fluid when its in the sun. There should be no debris in that trans fluid at that mileage.

Good Luck!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All those codes are consistent with HV battery failure. I don't think there is any other problem, given that code-set.

Good luck with the HT Hybrids refurb and I know many here will be interested in hearing updates – maybe 6 monthly or annually, if you feel so inclined.

SFO, m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. John McG.

John McG. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So long story short, it seems the problem was the HV battery. All trouble codes have resolved. Amazing how a weak battery can throw so many weird codes.

The folks from Hometown Hybrid were very responsive. They ship Fedex Ground, so I knew exactly when the battery would arrive, and the Fedex guy gave me his phone number and swung by to pick up the core when I called. The battery came with a very informative packet of material to help with safety and installation. They do a solid job on the purchase and warranty paperwork and make it easy with DocuSign. So far its a good value in my book at $995 including both-way shipping and a 2 year warranty. TechStream shows the battery in well balanced shape within voltage tolerances as expected.

The only rookie mistake I made was the inter-lock. It threw a P0A0D code on first start attempt. I had not slid the lever down hard enough to engage the safety interlock pins. Luscious Garage has a good video on this, I'm sure its a common mistake.

I'll keep you all posted on how well this battery works out but for now, thumbs up for Hometown Hybrids out of Houston, TX.

I'm still working on that leak in the rear quarter sumps. It should be obvious, and I know where it classically leaks, but damned if I can find it. Finally our Prius is back after a 3 week fiasco. A final note, I have to let the Toyota guys off the hook. They thought it was the HV battery but just could not produce the TS diagnostics to prove it. Regardless, I saved $2500 doing it myself. (yeah, I know its not new cells). Good enough.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Figster10

Figster10 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt you got those codes because of the hybrid battery having an issue. I have the same codes p3102, 581 with c2301, 40 and same poor phase voltage readings. I have replaced the transmission ecu and shift actuator twice now. My issues continue and I am looking to see what ended up being your outcome given it was years ago

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The collection of codes changed over the length of the thread. As of post #12, the codes were:

Those are classic traction battery codes. That is, there's a P0A80 (because of the P3020), there's a P3000/123 (the HV control ECU saying "hey, battery ECU has codes"), and C1259 and C1310 are the skid ECU saying "hey, HV control ECU has codes".

The other codes pertaining to the shift actuator were something earlier in the thread.

18. Figster10

Figster10 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I was referring to the other codes. Traction battery codes clearly are issues with hybrid battery but I was trying to help him see that they are not related. Shift actuator issue is separate from hybrid battery issues

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're right about the traction battery codes and shift actuator codes referring to different issues; when the original poster here started the thread five years ago, there were shift actuator codes, but by the end of the thread there were only traction battery codes, as reported in post #12.

That post also reported that

... not the kind of resolution that inspires confidence, but if connectors develop oxidation, that sort of 'fix' can sometimes work.