1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transmission Vibration? Motor Vibration? Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sidewayzgt, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have searched and searched with no definitive answer to my Prius's issue.

I just bought my Prius 3 with 107k miles and have been driving it for the past three days with no issues (300 Miles). On the way home I noticed a vibration that seems to happen when the gas engine kicks in but it is intermittent (frequently intermittent if that makes sense). It feels like the transmission is struggling to engage or if you let the clutch out to fast on a stick shift and the motor vibrates like it wants to stall. It has happened 3 times in a half hour period but not every time. I have no check engine light on but am getting a random misfire code on cylinder 2.

There are many threads in the forums that address similar issues but nothing that I have read has mentioned a fix. Can anybody chime in with their thoughts on this. Thank you!

2. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The exact same thing happened to me. It's you're head gasket.

3. DrTrivia

DrTrivia Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could also easily check if there is a problem with your ignition coil. Take the cover off the engine, identify cylinder 2, then switch the ignition coil out for one of the other ones. If the misfire follows the coil, you have a faulty coil. You can also test the charge running to the coils to make sure it's not a wiring issue. How are you getting a misfire code with no CEL, though? That's a little surprising to me, since every car I've had before turned the CEL on immediately at the first sign of a misfire (haven't had it happen with my Prius, though).

I've had a damaged head gasket in a different car, and found an obvious problem with misfires, low oil levels, and coolant leaks. Those are the most common symptoms and are hard to miss. Here's an online tutorial to help you investigate that, if you think it make be the issue.
    Part 1 -How To Test a Blown Head Gasket (Toyota 1.8L)