1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transport Canada has released its latest recalls, which may affect some Toyota...vehicles

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2004-2006 Toyota Prius
    Vehicles affected: 4,141

On certain vehicles, there is a possibility that the connection at the intermediate shaft, or at the intermediate extension shaft, may become loose, or the intermediate shaft sleeve may develop a crack under certain operating conditions. If the vehicle continues to be operated in this condition, the connection may separate or the shaft sleeve may fracture, which could result in the loss of steering control. Toyota dealers will replace the steering intermediate shaft. In addition, the dealer will inspect the sliding yoke and intermediate extension shaft, and replace them if necessary.

Here's Transport Canada's warning.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

So what's the best quess as to how long TAC takes to issue notices? 4 months or 6 months plus. 4's about the average for SSC's. Not the most confidence inspiring organization, IMO.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea. I remember how I got the ECU update way before I got the letter lol. I think that was a month or two after.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the letter.... it says it'll take them one hour.

5. Frank Hudon

came home today and yup there it was! I was shocked, stunned and amazed. That was faster than I figured they'd get it out.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.. now... the question is, wait or get it done asap? :lol:

7. Frank Hudon

that's the question, I seem to recall that you got the new HV computer when they tried to flash it and toasted it just like the wife's. I've got under the dash on her's as soon as I heard that there was a possible problem and held the coupling and moved the steering wheel from side to side and there was no play at all so I'm almost hesitant to get it done till the dealer has at least screwed a few up to learn the tricks of this job. I'd almost like to take it down to Olympia and have Mike do it. But it's a long way to go so will hold for a few weeks and then probably send it in. It's also due for the HV comp flash and connector seal job so maybe they've learned how to do that one right this time. That's been on the books since December of 2005 so my quess is that they have done a few. But you never know. I quess it's like a crap shoot. Do it and take your chances.

8. wilco

wilco New Member

Yep, my letter came today too. Which mainly lowland dealer do you guys figure is the best Prius-wise?

9. Frank Hudon

I've heard that Langley Toyota Town has a sharp Prius tech and we used to deal with Granville Toyota as the tech there was the one who used to service YC15 but it's been a while. Will probably take it to Open Road on Lougheed in Burnaby and let them kill it. Another PC'er uses the dealer in Maple Ridge with good results. I'm going to ask the service manager and not the little rookie on the desk what their success rate has been on the comp flash because the desk jocky lied last time. "oh we've done lots of them" ya right Pudd head, we found out her's was the first. I'll make my decision then and there.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I got mine fried. He also didn't know about the manual release for the rear hatch, scratches the plastic on the front quarter window, poorly replaced the MFD plastic, left an oil smudge on the right A pillar and also poorly replaced the A pillar plastic, left a smudge on the rear right seatbelt, left battery grease (or whatever you call that) on the tonneau cover and broke the battery compartment cover and the red positive terminal cover. Not to mention he also forgot to update the other ECU. He only updated one when he was supposed to update two.

Lougheed is called Destination Toyota now.

Also, I assume any dealer can perform it, and not your "home" dealer where you bought the car right? So.. ya.. whadda ya guys think?

11. Frank Hudon

Oops your right on the name change. I'll probably take it there. You want us to be the quinea pig?

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it's one hell of a drive for me. I haven't made any appointments yet cause like you said, I think I'll wait.

13. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jul 4 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]281243[/snapback]</div>
    LOL :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was actually thinking of either Langley Toyotatown or Open Road Richmond. I bought mine at OR Port Moody, but I wonder how many other Prii they service... plus it's a looong drive from where I live. Maple Ridge would be an even longer drive.

I actually won't go to Granville Toyota on principle. They really botched a job on a friend's 4Runner, didn't own up to it, and lied to his face (tried to baffle him with BS, but they didn't know he's a journeyman mechanic!). I know that's only an isolated incident, but Toyota Canada has the attitude that it isn't a competitive marketplace (with their no-dicker high prices, etc.). Well, I've got news for them - it is. I take great joy in forcing the dealers to compete for my business! End rant.

14. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 4 2006, 10:30 PM) [snapback]281282[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, that's terrible! I knew your ECU got fried, but the rest of that stuff... that's just plain weak. Which dealer was that?

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 5 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]281477[/snapback]</div>
    Really? I thought they were one of the good ones. Did you complain to the service manager?

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.. me too since we bought THREE cars from them.

Brad? Yeah... but he's usually too busy especially since I went to him when

a) my rear bumper was out of alignment from the factory
    B) my rear left mudguard was improperly installed
    c) my glovebox release button started peeling
    d) the battery cover was broken. I also told him about the release switch and told him to tell Mark about it so he wouldn't break anyone else's Prius.

so I think he's had enough of me and my problems :lol:

18. wilco

wilco New Member

It sucks being the guinea pig.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.. I was the second Prius that he did. He didn't have any problems with the first one so he was fairly confident.

20. wilco

wilco New Member

Well, I'm sitting in OR Port Moody right now while they're doing the recall work. I booked the 16K oil change, and they asked if I wanted the steering done, to which I replied...

"how many of those have you done so far?"
    "lots"
    "really... lots?"
    "yep"
    "so I'm not the first"
    "no, not even close"

... we'll see <_<