1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transport Canada has released its latest recalls, which may affect some Toyota...vehicles

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 17, 2006.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been holding back on getting the recall service done, after reading the horror stories about fried chips. I've found Westminster Toyota to be good so far, though I've yet to trust anyone with the ECU or steering shaft. They leave the tire pressures alone, put in the right amount of oil (and don't mind me bringing my own), and respect my requests not to give Silver a bath. (He says they're too rough.)

2. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 20 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]289605[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, I didn't know you were a Vancouver guy?!

Yeah, I don't let them wash it either. For some reason my car isn't flagged for the re-flash, and even if it were, I wouldn't have it done.

The results: it drives fine but... the steering wheel isn't centered. It's about 3° right when the car is going straight. This would have been obvious had they bothered to road test it.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh boy. the whole process begins in canada now. well the biggest way to screw this one up is to leave the steering wheel off center, as wilco is now experiencing. i suppose they could take a ridiculous amount of time in doing the job, but i don't know if that qualifies as any kind of f-up.

good luck you guys. ;)

4. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 20 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]289686[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, it's really minor, but I'm extremely picky about these things. I'm sure the guy thought he did have the wheel straight - it's not off enough to notice until you're moving. Kinda' surprised that they didn't take it for a drive considering the nature of this particular service campaign.

I would've had them fix it on the spot, but I didn't have the time.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if the steering wheel is off centre, they'll just have to try again, right? If I recall correctly, the problem with the ECU was something about not using the right scanner tool. Has this been fixed yet? What should I ask the shop before I let them experiment?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    correcting the steering wheel basically involves repositioning the new part, pretty minor.

the reflash had some real issues because of the software they had in the scantools. they had that one fixed a while back, so the only thing you have to worry about there is if they don't put the charger on the 12v battery while the reflash is happening.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, galaxee. I will be sure to ask about charging the battery.

Hey, wilco, greetings from another Vancouver boy. Was it presto asking for someone's help with testing handling modifications? We should get together and do that one of these days.

8. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 20 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]289698[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I know. Although I'm not a licensed mechanic, I'm a former enthusiast race driver/wrench twister.

I guess I went from gas waster to gas saver :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 20 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]289705[/snapback]</div>
    In a word... yes.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there's just about enough of us for west coast Prius gathering.
    Had one computer popped doing the flash so really picky about the car. My Classic so far has been recall free. The thing is one tooth on the spline for the coupler is probably 3 degrees of missalignment. That's the kind of stuff that just drives me nuts. And I usually make a scene and p**s off a lot of people at the dealership in the process. As far as I'm concerened just give me the parts and I'll do it myself. Her's is do for the flash and I'm really leary of it.

10. BlackSC2

BlackSC2 New Member

Do you guys know how the techs on the island are for Prius work? My parent's have one from Metro in Duncan. So far all the service has been great there, but I don't know if they've had any Prius specific work done on the car.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll get mine done at the 32,000km service. Better not screw it up.

So, what should I check before I leave the dealership?

12. Frank Hudon

note the position of the steering wheel as your driving straight down the street and make sure after the wheel is in the same spot when driving straight down the street. There is two splinded shafts that have to mate a male to a female coupler and one is fine spline and the other is coarse. The coarse isn't the problem it the fine spline on the lower coupler and it's easy to get it one tooth out.

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For the steering recall, you could always download the SSC 60C procedure (a 32MB PDF) and walk them through how to do it. Might p*ss them off, but they'd have no excuse if they screw it up.

14. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackSC2 @ Jul 20 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]289788[/snapback]</div>
    haven't heard how the Island is making out with repairs. I'd guess that there is only a handfull on the Island. But if Metro is working out sofar give them a try. Seems like the problems are here on the ML.

15. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jul 20 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]289762[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Due to all of the FHOP BS that has been going on here, I pretty much stopped posting to PC, so aside from you and Tideland, I didn't realy think there were many (or any) other Vancouver area PCers (well, I guess Mr CAN-View is in Chilliwack).

Anyway, I think we may have reached critical mass. I've got to run out the door now, but this idea is worth its own thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jul 20 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]289762[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, agreed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jul 20 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]289814[/snapback]</div>
    Bingo.