1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Transport - not a "car"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a thought: there is a big factor in car ownership called culture. Many of you know, I'm originally from Brazil, although I feel more American now after so many years of great times and great friends/colleagues in this country. So, back to Brazil, in our culture, there are 2 types of cars: 1- the transportation ones, which are the most cheap and economic models, often with a flex 1.0 engine (gas or ethanol), such as the Fiat Uno with 65,0 HP @ 6000 rpm (gas) / 66,0 HP 6000 rpm (eth). The car, of course, is very economic (no wonder), averaging about 20 km/l (roughly 50 MPG) without a single HP of electric power). So, these are real transportation machines, not the real cars, but lots of people have them and they manage to drive them just fine in the hwy (not the safest thing of the world as you can imagine). Then, there are the real cars, with a lot more power, much less economic; but the last thing people is worried about with these real cars is fuel economy.

So, I have always had real cars here according to my culture. Now, that I decided to drive something more efficient and become part of this whole new concept of green initiative, my culture told me that a Jetta for instance would make a lot more sense because I did not have to give up the pleasure of having a real car at the expense of fuel economy. The Prius, in my culture, initially appeared like a transportation machine before I even checked it out…. but then I drove it and did extensive research on it until I realized that it is possible to maximize fuel efficiency and low carbon emissions without a huge compromise in power. Well, the problem is, it took a lot more than just research to me... I had to convince myself that Toyota was making it possible... I had to change my beliefs…

2. Argyle

Argyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any Monty Python fans here? Remember 'Life of Brian' where Brian tells his followers, "You are all individuals!" and the masses shout back, "Yes, we are all individuals!" and one voice pops up and says, "I'm not" ?

We all come here from different angles. I fall into the category from the first post. I just want to get there cheaply and reliably. Driving is a chore to me.
    Yet I find no fault with those who love to drive. Quite the opposite. It is those folks that push the envelope and keep car designers on their toes. You go, you enthusiasts! :cheer2:

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree. When I see a pickup truck with muddy wheel wells, dents and scratches with a trailer full of yard equipment or other stuff, well I'm happy. That small businessman has the perfect vehicle for what he is trying to accomplish, earning a living. In fact, I really don't care what others drive since that is their decision.

I was just trying to understand the visceral criticisms and it is fair to say that some may be an inability to adopt new technology. I can somewhat understand the Luddite ... folks who are frozen at one level of technology and can't advance to the next. It is a question of ignorance and that can be cured with patience and communication. But there is that smaller group that wants to scapegoat, focus their hated at someone. This ugly part of human nature continues to mystify me.

Bob Wilson

4. AirKuhl

AirKuhl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Much like stream mentioned in a previous post, I've been fortunate enough to own a lot of fine vehicles in my life including several Porsche 911's, BMW M5, M Benz, Land Cruiser, Harleys, Ducatis, etc. I do track days as a hobby, which means I burn upwards of $100 of fuel at < 6 mpg in a single morning. I feel comfortable stating that I'm a vehicle enthusiast.

I am tailor-made to hate the Prius, but instead I love it. It is an enthusiast vehicle. I derive a sense of pleasure out of getting max mileage, not because of some sky-is-falling shoddy-science political agenda, but simply because being wasteful for no reason grates on me tremendously. Breaking 70mpg for me is like getting a sub 1:45 lap time at Laguna Seca, very satisfying. The Prius is a pretty crappy car to drive if you pretend it's a sports car. Brakes, acceleration, handling, steering, suspension, transmission, seats, etc. are woefully bad by those standards. But I don't care, it's not designed for that. I don't get mad at my 911 for having poor towing, or my Land Cruiser for crappy mpg, or my Harley for poor seating capacity. They are all tools for specific jobs, and they do their jobs wonderfully well.

We need to see more hybrids and alt fuel vehicles that use the technology not just for better mpg but also for higher performance. When BMW or Porsche comes out with a hybrid car that beats the gas-only version around the Nurburgring, the holdouts will start to see the benefits of the technology. And that's good for everyone.

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The largest majority of the population is not at all interested in anything approaching performance and gut-tugging edginess. The vast vast majority wants reliability, low cost and peace of mind while driving.

This is one of the key factors that the D3 cannot for the life of them figure out how the bland Camry / Corolla keep killing their beautiful curve-carvers in terms of sales volumes.

The Prius touches two of the key reasons for buying, durability/reliability and the low-cost of driving/maintenance.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I didn't know that. Hmm...Indy king, from Brazil. Mr Castroneves, I presume? :cool:

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    DING! DING! DING! We have a WINNER!

What you are describing is called "managing user expectations!"

It does not good, none at all, to offer a Prius to someone expecting a turbo-charged Corvette or a formula 1 race car. Loan a Prius to "Top Gear," "Edmunds," or "Truthaboutcars" and you are asking, no begging for a black eye. Let me put it bluntly, they want a race car and a Prius is not a race car ... thankfully so. But how do you get press?

The right answer is to see if we can get the Prius be compared to the favorite car of the target media outlet:

• the Prius will beat them in price
    • the Prius will beat them in fuel economy
    • the Prius will beat them in utility
    Now the problem is "How do we get them to make the comparison?" You can lead a scribbler to a story but it is dang hard to get them to write it the way you want. But if you make it so the two comparison vehicles, the one they like and the actual target are in front of them ... Just ask them to write the comparison. <grins>

By the time they figure out what has happened, they will be up against their deadline. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

8. yogadoc

yogadoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This isn't such a good analogy, but this thread reminds me of the first time I showed my father the second generation ipod (~2003). After I explained to him that the music from all of my CDs now resides on a device the size of a box of cards and that I now have the equivalent of a 500 CD changer for my car, he picked it up, looked at it, and put it back down. Looking unimpressed, he said, "This thing is no damn good. It doesn't have any weight to it!"

9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What follows is no less slanted and opinionated than the Truth About
    Cars
    article. It just happens to cut another way.

My take on this is that most folks don't want to face the fact that easy,
    unthinking transportation solutions don't (or soon wont) work anymore.

Until recently (Your call; 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, 2008, whatever) the
    US had been in a continuous condition of economic growth since the early
    1940s. It was the accepted truth that things would always be better: next
    month, next year, next generation, whatever. There was little reason for
    the average Joe and Jane to be careful, mindful, thoughtful, or
    environmentally conscious.

But all that is over, and the Prius is a highly visible sign that the old ways
    of justifying choices in personal and family transportation won't work
    anymore. The Prius, with it's strangeness and idiosyncrasies screams,
    It is time to change, and each one of us, individually and collectively, is
    what needs to change the most.

The car, which point towards the future, is not threatening, but the
    message is.

The Prius is just the automotive messenger. But for the careless,
    unmindful, thoughtless, or unconscious, it is easier the shoot the
    messenger than it is to let go of hollow dreams and unrealistic expectations,
    or confront empty promises. For all too many people this is not about
    rationality, it is about emotions... mostly the emotions of fear, loss, and
    even betrayal.

Maybe Toyota is right in their current advertising campaign. Maybe the way
    to get to these people is faeries, and butterflies, and flowers. These are all
    familiar and non-threatening. Substitute a new, muzzy, unfocused, airily
    positive reality for the old ones, now fallen to dust.

1 person likes this.
  10. quillsinister

quillsinister New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very nicely said, Rokeby. Your opinionated slant is very similar to mine.

:D

11. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I was Helio Castroneves I would certainly not get a Prius, no offense! :D:D:D