1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trash storage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tedb, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Howard

Howard New Member

I use a cloth bag which is designed for trash in a car. It has a strap which you hook around the lower support for the head rest. Hang it facing the rear seat . It can be purchased at most automotive stores. Usually Toyota dealers carry them.

2. cgraham

cgraham Member

A real solution!

Walmart sells a fabric trash holder that folds flat when not in use, and attaches with sticky velcro so it can be removed to empty or clean. My wife said "No Velcro!!!", but she made an exception for this. The color of the one I got happened to match the grey interior perfectly.

It attaches nicely under the dash in the exact center of the car, where it is completely inconspicuous at least when empty. It is about 6x7" and pleated so it opens up to a decent volume (holds several partly squished pop cans). It has an envelope flap-like closure, and is very tidy.

The only problem I have had is that the velcro started to peel off the plastic it is mounted to. I may have to add some additional velcro. I would not be beyone fastening the velcro mount with some screws if I can be sure there is nothing behind the panel. It is good enough to be a permanent fixture.

C

3. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any online linkage you can supply?

4. cgraham

cgraham Member

Sorry, I walked into Walmart Auto section and found it. I don't remember the price, but probably less than shipping :)

I could go into the supply business and they woud be about $20.00 each, shipped, as long as Wally's supply holds out. :lol:

C

5. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd go for that, particularly because I refuse (on general principles) to go into a Walmart.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ditto. In the event that I or someone else eat(s) or drink(s) something while in the car, the trash items are immediately disposed of upon reaching the destination (or at a nearby trash receptacle en route). I never allowed trash to accumulate in my prior car, nor will I with the Prius. For roadtrips that last 4+ hours, we usually have a plastic grocery bag in which to place everything, until we stop at a gas station or fast food restaurant, then we empty the contents in to a trash bin there and continue on our way, trash-free. :) B)

A quick search on Ebay for "car litter bag" came up with a handful of results and litter bag ideas (I hope the link works):

Ebay litter bags

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i found a nice black fake-leather trash bag at Target. DH got one of those 3M "command" hooks, colored it black with a Sharpie, then installed it facing backward in the little under-stereo compartment. the little loop on the trash bag gets threaded under the little door opening on the bottom, then hooked on that command hook. works perfectly. the bag is removable, the hook is removable.

it does make the little door open slowly, but we don't keep anything but our hard-mounted iPod player in there anyway.

edit: i rarely use it, but it's nice to have when DH (aka clutter junkie) takes the car for the day... :rolleyes:

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"I don't permit trash in my car. "

Only in the passenger seat in Vegas...
    ;-)

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    doh!

Funny that my wife was just asking about this the other day. Came up empty at Target. I guess I'll have to don my Nomex and take a trip to Wally World.

10. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

This sounds exactly like what I'm trying to find. Problem is I never go to Walmart. I don't think there is even one close by. Is there a name tag or brand that I could do a search for? Can you post a picture?

11. cgraham

cgraham Member

There is a place in the US that doesn't have a Walmart??? :huh:

I threw away the skimpy packaging - I'd have to go back to Walmart for info.

I can take a pic, but don't know how to post it here except as my personal photo (you don't expect me to appear as a trash bag, do you? ;)

(I can't see pics others have posted either.) Help is no help. I do have another way of doing it using an external link to a gallery. I'm driving home tomorrow, after which I should have time to do it on Friday or Sat. - would you mind sending me a pm Friday am? I am likely to forget after the trip.

C

12. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't even understand the question really.

I just chuck everything out the window. What else would you do with it? It all came from the Earth and I give it back to the Earth. Let it figure out where it goes. Everything is biodegradable.

13. twocrifasis

twocrifasis New Member

What I found works really well is to take a Kleenex box and cut it in half around the middle. It fits very snuggly into the pull out drawer in the console.

I use that to collect my wrappers and papers and such, no wet items.

Then when I wash the car I pull out the cardboard box, dump it and I'm good to go.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was at the dealer today and saw that they had several of the High Road Car Litter Bags. There's a couple that hang off the back of the front seats and one that's for the floor.

15. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Charles was nice to send me pictures of the litter bag he uses. I really like it. Has anyone seen this available anywhere but Walmart? They are a long ways away and it's not my favorite place to shop. An online location would be super.

16. cgraham

cgraham Member

Thanks for doing the pic post for me Begreen.

I'm sorry the 1st photo showing the mounted bag is difficult to see because of strong contrast and a shadow from the steering wheel: if you enlarge the thumbnail and look carefully in the center, you will see the bag appearing a light gray color.

I wanted to add that this model only cost about 3 bucks - worth every penny. There is also a similar shiny black vinyl model with white stitching at Wal-Mart which is $8.

I cut off the bail-style handle before mounting.

I like the location because it is easily accessible to both front seats.

C

17. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can not believe nobody has mentioned the door pockets yet. That is where my wife and I put our trash. We each have our own, it is out of site, holds a surprising amount, stuff won't go flying around (if it so overfilled and does it just goes on the floor) and is easy to clear out at the gas station when you fill up. If you are putting CDs or maps in those pockets you need to wake up to the car you are driving. CDs and fold out maps are so last century (and I don't have the nav system, just use a 50 state road atlas stored in a seat back pocket and print map quest as needed, also CDs are are now like cassette tapes & 8 track)

18. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have nothing in my vehicle to explicitly store trash. I have not yet volunteered my vehicle to be placed in the local hybrid garbage hauler program. I don't think that Curb Tender can lifter would look particularly attractive grafted to my Prius. :D

But it is so nice of the local fast food joints to provide a receptical to place trash in. Instead of just dumping your order on your lap and then sending you off, they place your food items in a bag and then hand it to you. That bag makes for an excellent trash receptical, and when lunch on the run is done you can take that bag and place it in a convenient trash can and not have your car all stinky like stale grease nor have to deal with a random trash container floating about the car. :lol:

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Could you post a picture?

20. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Isn't that illegal? You rebel!