1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trashed Navigation ECU

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by stuhillman, Jun 11, 2006.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 18 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]273058[/snapback]</div>
    I remember a story run in the local paper some years ago. They took a car, checked it out, made sure it was running fine and disconected one plug. Then a woman drove it around to various places to see what the results would be. Some found the problem right away and charged nothing. Some charged, but still found the problem. One place charged and mis-diagnosed. When the results were printed, the last place wrote an angry letter, saying how great the education their service techs had. Well, even if they had a great education, they still didn't know what was wrong. ;)

2. stuhillman

stuhillman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, now, of course, they are giving me a hard time saying the Toyota diagnostic system would not show a blown fuse. I find this hard to believe and would welcome confirmation that they are bull******* me. The service manager said that if the diagnostic check showed that the ECU had power (possible?) than the tech was correct in saying the ECU was damaged. I just can't get over the fact that a Toyota trained (I hope) technician, regardless of what the fancy equipment said, couldn't find a blown fuse that an amateur (although somewhat gifted) found in ten minutes using the excuse for an owner's manual foisted on us.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying you fixed the problem and it was a blown fuse? I somehow missed that post and can't find it here.

Yea, I'd be pissed.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 22 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]275496[/snapback]</div>
    Here it is.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stuartinho @ Jun 22 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]275462[/snapback]</div>
    1. the scan tool does not provide this function
    2. if the scan tool DID say that the ECU did not have power, why didn't they go look at the #(&*^&*^ fuse?!?!?! idiots. any tech would say "hey that sounds like a blown fuse" if he had any clue in his head.

you can request ECU status with the scantool, and if the scantool cannot communicate with the ECU, it reports an error. and if you go looking into the error, it'll tell you that there is a communication error and to check the power source. he thinks it even does mention to look at wires and fuses. whoever (mis)diagnosed your car was one lazy bastard.

you look at fuses before you go replacing $4500 components. period.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess this is a lesson in why one does not mention mods to the service staff.

All problems happen by themselves from now on. No, I didn't touch a thing...