1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Traveling at max load capacity...going on vacation

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by momto4girls, May 8, 2018.

1. momto4girls

momto4girls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I traded the minivan for a 2016 Prius a little over a year ago after 2 out of my 4 kids went off to college.

Current situation. All 6 of us are driving 10 hours to Florida from Alabama. Last year we just took two cars. Had plenty of room--no problem. My husband has since leased a new Tacoma. He doesn't want to put the miles on it driving it that far, so he doesn't exceed his limit. Our plan was to take our college aged daughters' Camry. One daughter has to work and won't be able to drive down with the rest of us. She's coming a couple of days later.

SO...I'm trying to figure out how and if it's possible to make the drive with 5 passengers plus cargo. I read on the sticker inside the door that the cargo max is 835 lbs, I think. Our passengers alone weigh 725. We are taking 4 beach chairs, beach cart, a small cooler (not packed), beach towels for 5, clothes, etc. I can fit the beach chairs, cart, and cooler in the trunk. I have ordered a RoofBag (11sq ft) for the roof. It doesn't require rails or crossbars. We are planning to put all clothing, towels, etc. in the RoofBag using the duffel bags that are made for the RoofBag. I think we will be under the weight limit--but barely.

We'd only be traveling one way packed to the gills like this. On the trip home we can utilize the space in my daughters' car because we're all traveling the same day.

I know this will kill the gas mileage. My concern is...safety. Blowouts. Braking. Handling. Has anyone made a trip loaded to the max in your Prius? Am I crazy?

ETA: I do have a minivan rental reserved for the duration of the trip. I'm just trying to be frugal and save the $400. But not at the cost of safety. I'll rent the van if I have to.

2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Apart from the safety aspects, I'd be worried about killing the suspension, breaking a spring etc, which could end up costing you more than $400.
    I'd probably up the tyre pressures, load it up and see what it looks like. If it looks low go for the van rental.
    Another option is to fit a tow bar, if one is available in the US and use a trailer for the luggage (and maybe a couple of kids :whistle:), although that might cost you more than the van rental.

momto4girls likes this.
  3. prifahrer

prifahrer Junior Member

I have done 4 holiday trips driving over 3000 km each, 4 passengers, roof-box fully loaded (over the 75kg limit), 300 liter box on the tow bar (over the 60 kg limit). No problem at all. Cruising speeds up to 150 km/hr, still no problem. Yes, the car is heavy then and acceleration slower. You are breaking more weight, but still, enough braking power to need and use ABS for emergency braking. Will do the same this year. Car suffers more from the lemonade in the cabin than the weight.... ok, it is a 3, but would do it in a 4 as well.

momto4girls likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (1) Can you take the Camry first, and have daughter bring the Prius later? Not that the Camry's load rating will be all that much higher than the Prius's rating.

(2) How much will the excess miles on the Tacoma really cost? This should set an upper bound to how much money you put into a solution.

(3) Rent a minivan for the trip?

5. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, everyone, for the input.

I hadn't thought of taking the Camry first. I'll have to look up how much space is in the trunk compared to my Prius. She is still at college, so I don't have access to that car. I still have my minivan reservation as a back up. I would have to drive a couple of hours and trade cars to get the Camry, but that's not a big deal if it works better.

#5 momto4girls, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Make sure you read the "fine print" on your tire sidewalls regarding max. cold tire pressure and max. loading. The max. tire load is usually associated with the max. cold tire pressure (at least the way I read it). In other words, your tires are only rated at max. load rating at the max. cold tire pressure. Usually 44 psi. So, pump them up to the max. tire pressure on the sidewall. Overloaded tires blowout because there is excessive flexing of the sidewall, leading to overheating of the sidewall and failure.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  7. momto4girls

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. This is one of my big concerns.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never thought about the weight when going on vacation. i always figured max seating plus normal vacation accoutrements = you're good to go. if it fits it flies. i don't drive over the speed limit, corner hard or slam the brakes. leave plenty of room in front of me on the highway.

#8 bisco, May 8, 2018
    kithmo and momto4girls like this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This seems to be what very many people do, going substantially over the labeled load rating, and few get into trouble over it. Or at least, few experience enough trouble to notice a connection.

Though do note that this was a contributing factor to the Firestone tire / Ford Explorer rollover issue that killed a bunch of people a couple decades ago. But this issue was the result of stacking multiple factors together: overloaded tires, too-low tire pressures, excessive speeds, hot weather, a tire manufacturing defect, and problems with the vehicle design and OEM tire selection. Taken just one at a time, without the other factors present, the risk from any single issue was far lower.

#9 fuzzy1, May 8, 2018
    momto4girls likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the perfect storm, kinda like piling up floor mats under the go pedal.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My concern isn't with whether the PRIUS (or CAMRY) would cope - but the legality of having 5 passengers and only 4 seatbelts. Both are only 5 seater cars:

upload_2018-5-9_13-37-14.png

If there were an accident, insurance could very well deny the claim if the vehicle is overloaded (not sure if the EDR records if seatbelts aren't fastened). More than that, there are lives at risk.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounded to me that she won't have any issue with unbelted passengers. Both Prius and Camry have belts for 5, and she wasn't going to have 6 people until the older daughter arrived in a second vehicle.

Insurance claims typically don't get denied in the U.S. for common things such as exceeding weight labels or changing to non-original tire sizes. Obstruction for such trivia is for our health insurance system, not our car insurance system.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was muddled too, so it's 5 bodies in total I guess.

14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure - she said "All 6 of us are driving ...". And later "... 5 passengers ...".

But sure - if it's only 5 people, shouldn't be any real problem.

15. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    6 people going in total, however one daughter is driving up later because she has to work. So 5 people in one car on the way up, 6 people in two cars on the way back.

"Passengers" can be a confusing term. When referring to the capacity of an automobile the number of passengers includes the driver, i.e. a "seven passenger vehicle" means seven people including the driver. In all other contexts normally passenger does not include the driver. If using the term outside of its normal context it's usually best to qualify it, like saying the driver and three passengers or four passengers including the driver. Or even better, just use "people" and no qualification is needed.

I was thrown by the Camry at first. The initial post seemed to imply that the daughter who owned the Camry was not the same as the daughter at college coming up later. But apparently it is the same person, which is why the Camry is not available for the drive up.

I think it is commendable that the OP is thinking about safety and wants to make sure that there won't be any problems. However my main concern is not vehicle weight, but will there be enough beach chairs? Four doesn't seem like enough.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh - I can understand that - one is like me. I prefer to stay back and read a book rather than venture on the beach and endure Sun, Sand, Sunburn, Sunstroke, Salt, Sandflies, Sharks, Stingers ... and Sunamis

bisco and kithmo like this.
  17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    And a Steak on the barbie ;)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think I'd be more worried about cramming 5 people into the Prius for a trip that long.......and not having at least one of them end up dead or severely injured by the other occupants before the trip is over. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Would an extra 4 days on the rental really be $400 ?? Maybe some shopping around on that would be warranted.

I think it would be a bad idea for several reasons.
    We can talk about leasing being a BAD option at some later date.

19. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius can handle it fine if the passengers can. Many people have hauled more weight over the last 15 years in their prii. I remember a guy posted on here after hurricane Katrina, he has a prius and loaded it down with 5 huge guys, and everything they Possiblely could fit in the prius. It made it! And was totally fine. Now days the prius has a much much better suspension system. No need to worry

20. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Used to be the owners manual told you to add pressure to the tyres if running loaded or on long highway trips. Now I guess it's expected we all know this. RIGHT! ;)

I would run 2-4 PSI more than "normal", whatever that means. I don't ever run the low pressures the door placard calls for. I run 40 PSI front and 38 PSI rear (inflated "cold", or early in the morning before driving the car). For long highway trips and/or a fully loaded car I would be running 42 PSI front and 40 PSI rear.

I would also check wheel temps. with my hand when stopping for fuel. If too hot, slow down on the next and all additional legs of the trip. "Too hot" means it panics you how hot they're running. Sometimes "common sense" is automatic. ;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.