1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TRD parts for the prius c

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SlowTurd, Dec 28, 2011.

1. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    TRD Spices up New Toyota Aqua / Prius C Hybrid with Sport Package in Japan - Carscoop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its good they have suspension and tire upgrades, but sport exhaust on a prius? It looks non functional and in bad taste.

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

how do you mean it looks non functional?

4. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Its getting put on a 74 hp atkinson ice, dual exhaust is not going to really improve performance or make that engine sound better. Its like putting truck nutz on a prius. I guess in some hipster way it may be ironic, but it won't really call itself out enough to be funny.

5. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those driving lights look very susceptible to being damaged easily....

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It'll do what most exhaust "upgrades" do. Make you -think- you have more power.

7. Mickduc

Mickduc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey now, that isn't dual exhaust, just a dual tip which is always just a cosmetic upgrade anyway.

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Remember when Honda Civic "rice rockets" were all the rage with the younger generation? I tend to see that aesthetic profile in these TRD Aqua images.

9. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The only reason -I- would get the exhaust is it's stainless. But it wouldn't be legal here anyway, as the tip is "bigger" than stock. That makes it illegal.

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    either way they are non-functional.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

they are replacing complete muffler... it is certainly functional, be it for few more hp, or for sound they will provide... Japanese like to customize their cars, so why not?

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be shocked if there was any increase in power at all from this mod in the prius. I am also assuming the engine sounds quite like the gen II prius engine, and would shocked if anyone hearing it would say hey this is a good sounding car. I would be happy if you got an mp3 file before and after, and a spec for improved fuel economy or hp and you showed some difference. AFAIK it will just make it look like the prius has a more powerful engine to clueless people.

You could make a less restrictive exhaust that reduced low end torque and shifted it to higher rpms. Getting a prius to use this new likely worse torque curve well would require a change in ecu programming. You might also be able to make the sour atkinson engine note louder. Toyota did not build the exhaust to be restrictive, everything about the atkinson cycle is about less restriction to reduce pumping losses.

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

debbie downer... if they just wanted to add double tips, they would not change the complete exhaust.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. I'm guilty as charged. I guess I don't smell enough like teen spirit:D What would be the perfmance difference. be my guest find the hp or mpg gains or more likely losses, and play the mp3s to some ricers and see which they pick.

If you like huge non-functional wings or a sport exhaust on a prius - you may be a ricer
    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ricer:o

15. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, to avoid dissing some very nice Asian people -I- call them (people who add non-functional exhaust/wings/scoups/intakes/shocks/whatever!) sticker guys.

The most probable thing is the exhaust shown wouldn't add anything but bling. It -might- reduce power a bit (been there, done that) unless TRD did their homework. I -suspect- it's for bling.
    TRD makes it to make money.
    Nothing wrong with bling, but lets just admit that's what it's about.

But as I already said, I might be tempted if the stock one rusted out because I have a weakness for stainless exhausts. ;)

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Meant to dis your sticker guys not Asian people in general, if you feed a prius more "rice" like a sport exhaust or a bigger spoiler it's not going to get in shape to "race".:D

I put some functional bling on my pri, but I know it makes it accelerate slower and get worse mileage. It can take turns with more confidence, brake shorter, and sounds and looks better[​IMG] What do call the people that put that sport exhaust, lift kit, and big lights on a taco (toyota tacoma)?
    As long as you know its cosmetic:D
    You can add a turbo to a gen I, or get better power/weight in a gen III or prius c that works with the ecu:rolleyes: That pesky programing makes it tough to add anything that significantly adds performance without lots of work.
    Browser Warning

17. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Isn't that the point of the Prius c? Perhaps TRD intentionally decreased power to increase MPG. ;). :D
    You have to break the convention and think differently with these hybrids. :D

1 person likes this.
  18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is cool they are offering upgrades already. If you can make the car more customizable more younger folks would be interested and that is what we need. More kids buying the c rather than a Camaro or RAm truck. :)

1 person likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Perhaps they should also offer a Scion twin then ;)

20. pudgie_child

pudgie_child Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Japanese is a little rusty. Does anyone know how much the TRD kits add to the price?