1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Treo 650 smart phone w/bluetooth 'official announcement'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aarons12, Oct 18, 2004.

1. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Why in your hands? It's a hands-free phone!

Use the cupholder :?

2. Quickster

Quickster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Best use of the camera is for grabbing quick shots of street addresses or something you would normally write down. Of course, with the right software you can also use the Treo as a voice recorder. Mine works great for that.

3. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So that means no modem through bluetooth? :x If they're going to implement bluetooth, it should have all the capabilities of bluetooth.

4. jmdor

jmdor New Member

Danny -- where did you see the Sprint 2005 release date?

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

6. jmdor

jmdor New Member

Looks like from treocentral that the Treo 650 will first be released for Sprint in Mid-november, with a price of $599. Now if it only works more consistently than my sony ericsson....

7. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

check out treocentral.com in the 650 forums. latest info is that sprint has relented and will enable the bluetooth modem profile.

8. tcooper185

tcooper185 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And check here:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5825

To quote:
    It is important to note that the characterization [in your post] is inaccurate.

Due to some development deadlines, the phone has been launched as described, without the DUN [dial-up networking] capability. However, as part of a scheduled maintenance release of software (timing pending some testing), the DUN capabilities will be supported. We also support the functionality in the just released PPC-6601 (Pocket PC device). In no way is Sprint suppressing the functionality as you describe or with the motivations you assert.

This is according to a PR person w/ SprintPCS, so take it with a grain of salt.

He also says later that he doesn't see the TOS being a problem in regards to connecting your laptop/PDA.

"my understanding is that no, we do not have a restriction on these devices from a pricing/plan standpoint. This sort of use only represents a pretty small fraction of Sprint Vision customers, so we see it as one of those areas where if this is how customers choose to connect, we don't stand in the way."

Not that I'm gonna spring the money on a 650 (I'm happy w/ my Sony T608), but it sounds like they're gonna make good on the potential of the phone.

Now, if only they'll upgrade or remove the camera!

tim