1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle! + Check Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mr88cet, Sep 3, 2016.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, a basic, general question:

Where are you folks getting the these trouble codes, like P0AFA, P0301, P0302? I gather you must have some sort of gizmo you're attaching to the CAN bus to see the diagnostic codes that Toyota only wants dealers to see?

Second, Problem description:

2009 Option Level 4 (I think) Touring, 116Kmiles, well-maintained:
    First symptom: 3/4ish-second beep upon powering down. Persisted for several days; first couple times I thought I was just imagining it, but no, definitely not.
    Second symptom, yesterday: Air conditioner seemed to cut out on my way home from work. By the time I got home, I could hear the air conditioner motor cycling, so it either had come back or some other part of the air conditioner was failing. However, this morning, it seemed to be working fine.
    Third symptom, today, driving on freeway: Master Alarm (triangle!) + check engine + VSC. Pretty sure the air conditioner cut out again too. Pulled over, powered down. Checked fluids; all fine (although radiator coolant is kinda hard to see for sure). Perhaps most relevantly, inverter coolant level is fine. Powered up again: Triangle! + check engine, no VSC light. Timidly drove home and rented a car. Beyond the warning lights, it's not obvious that there's anything wrong with the car; no loss of power or odd noises, for example.

I'm guessing, but I'm not sure, that the first symptom is what you folks mentioned elsewhere: The key fob battery being low. I replaced that battery, and it may or may not have solved that problem, but it didn't solve the big problem.

Any suggestions?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1) ScanGauge (…or two) is a useful addition (…to any automobile/truck/SUV/vehicle)
    2) Flakey SKS might indicate 12V Aux battery - A/C cutting out might be HV Traction-Battery - or a combination of both! - hope this helps - Wil (…good luck!)

3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, thanks. Probably not the 12V battery; I had that replaced ... I think around 90Kmiles or so.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check and see if there's turbulence in your inverter coolant reservoir. I think your car is overheating

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, I also checked that the gas cap wasn't loose, since I'd heard that that can cause the Check-Engine like to turn on. It wasn't.

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah! That sounds like a very good suggestion. Thanks!