1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Triangle of death", ABS, and check engine lights.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Blackwing, May 19, 2017.

1. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If memory serves me correctly this is the 12v aux battery. I had replaced this myself in the summer of 2011. Six years ago. Looks like it's time to check the voltage and drop $100 on another Toyota OEM. We also had a lot of rain recently, so I'll check for any leaks, rust, excess water.

IMG_6213.JPG

Update with findings.

IMG_6214.JPG IMG_6215.JPG IMG_6217.JPG IMG_6216.JPG IMG_6219.JPG IMG_6218.JPG

#1 Blackwing, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let us know where you can get an oem for $100. how many miles on her?
    not to be negative, but it could be more serious.

3. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    11.8 with headlights on and no engine running. Think its time for a new 12v?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe not. 12.5 with just the screen on is pretty good.

5. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi bisco,

I went to a local dealership at the time, remember this is 2011 we're talking about. I don't remember exactly but it was about $100.00-to-120.00. It took me about 2 hours to replace with the help of 2 YouTube videos and rented tools from Sears Hardware.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's more like $220. now.:eek: it won't hurt to replace it. mine is 5 years old, but i'd like to get 8 years out of it.

7. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    open the reservoir with the car in ready and see if there's any movement.

9. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a youtube vid how to do this? It's the coolant reservoir?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't, but you can try google. the inverter coolant reservoir is identified in the beginning of the owners manual. just unscrew the cap to see if the coolant is moving.

11. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay how does it move exactly? Is it pretty fierce? Slow moving waves? To confirm, I would be looking at the coolant liquid itself?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    slow, any movement at all means the pump is working. dead still means the pump is not. yes, the coolant inside the reservoir.
    you can also swing by an auto parts store to have the codes read for free, but they only have basic scanners. so anything involved would require a trip to the dealer.

13. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coolant Level Check: 2004-2009 Prius - 2005 Toyota Prius 1.5L 4 Cyl.

two caps???

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is the engine coolant. the inverter coolant is a separate loop and reservoir.

kind of yellowish clear plastic with a black cap, next to the big shiny inverter cover.

15. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Untitled.jpg
    Okay looks like tank #5 in the image above. Toyota owner's manual page 274

Guys after some digging through my e-mail accounts I found this:

On 6/3/2011:

This is a courtesy reminder for your service appointment scheduled for 6/4/2011 at 9:00AM on your 2004 Toyota Prius.

The following services will be performed:

Special Service Campaign - *Customer States, Recall-Pedal Recall-Waterpump
    Galaxy Toyota Quality Vehicle Inspection

And On 6/17/2011:

Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. and Galaxy Toyota would like to thank you for servicing your 2004 Prius on June 4, 2011.

Toyota and its dealers are committed to providing you with the highest level of customer service. We would appreciate getting feedback on your recent service experience. Your insights will help us continuously improve your experiences with us.

Looks like I had the water pump recall done already. But is this the same as the inverter coolant pump?

Okay new update. In the next set of photos I have discovered error codes. I am not sure if these error codes are fully updated or they are from the last time I checked. Also, posted is a video of the inverter reservoir tank immediately after the car has been started into READY mode. Surprisingly, the brake system warning light from before disappeared. Now all I saw were the red-death-triangle and check engine lights. **Okay sorry guys the video must be too large to post. I'll have to get it on Youtube for later. IMG_6223.JPG IMG_6224.JPG

There it is, my inverter reservoir tank.

MERGED!

Attached Files:

#15 Blackwing, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've got some good news, some bad (or at least disappointing) news, and some neutral news.

The good news is your aux battery voltage, as shown at the EMV/MFD (which generally reads low-ish by a couple of fuse drops and some wiring, compared to a measurement at the battery itself) is in flying-colors territory. I wouldn't worry about it.

The disappointing news is, the trouble codes you can read on the EMV are a different, special kind of trouble code just for the EMV itself and the other entertainment and nav components, if you have them. It doesn't really get you the "diagnostic trouble codes" you hear everybody talking about, which come from the other computers in the car and are usually five letters/numbers run together, with the first being P, C, B, or U. Any time you're having a serious problem with the car, any codes on the EMV are generally just a distraction.

Not to say, once you've taken care of whatever serious issues the rest of the car has, it wouldn't be interesting to come back to those EMV codes and check them out ... or at least hold down that Code CLR button for a few seconds, then see which ones come back.

Now in this case, enough is showing with the EMV that it might not be just a distraction. It is showing "AUDIO H/U" and "G/W" as not connected, and that's weird. I'm willing to bet your car has both an auto headunit and a gateway (the gateway sits between this special entertainment/nav LAN and the networks for the rest of the car, allowing the hybrid drive conditions and such to show up on the display). If the MFD is saying those are "not connected", it might indicate a situation like this one.

A bit more bad news is you've got some water in your car, but you noticed that already. :) Down in the tire well and the wheel it might not be causing any of the problems you're asking about, but it is wet and you'd rather not have it there, and there are various posts on PriusChat about where it might be getting in, once you're to the point of dealing with it.

The neutral news is, well, there's just not much more to say without the actual diagnostic trouble codes, which are retrieved using the little plug under the dash above the driver's knees. I know you'd like to get a diagnosis based on the photos you've posted, but those three warning lights on the cluster can be triggered for a lot of different reasons, which the codes will spell out for you.

-Chap

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to see, was there movement in the fluid?

18. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks and yes the MFD has been down since I purchased the car in May 2010. I had $700 off on the car thanks to that.

Well I spent all afternoon researching how to get diagnostic codes. What I've decided to do is purchase a mini VCI cable and run Techstream on a Windows 7 32-bit Virtual Machine (on my Windows 8.1 laptop). Now I'm worried that It's not the Aux battery. I have a grave feeling it is either a failed inverter coolant pump or an HV battery cell(s).

No idea, the engine runs for about 5-10 seconds when READY mode is activated. The video shows you what happens there.

19. Blackwing

Blackwing Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to say that there is no Hybrid Warning Indicator. Good news?

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't think it was hard to see at all. No, there is no moment. Just some initial vibration caused but the ICE running, but once the ICE shuts off absolutely still.
    You should be happy that you don't have to shell out $220-$320 for an unnecessary part. My money, based on your video, is the the inverter coolant pump has failed, and a failed inverter coolant pump is nothing to worry about. Just buy the part and replace it or take to a garage and have them do it. It is not a complex job.
    Unlikely, but never say never. When you have TS up and running you will know for sure. But no use worrying about it now. You could even get on with changing the inverter coolant pump while you wait.

Blackwing likes this.